lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi

I posted yesterday as I have noticed swollen hands (particularly my right one) and my legs too.. I can’t make a fist with my hand (don’t think it’s possible with my legs ) I’m just wondering if it could be anything diabetes related? It’s not painful and no tingling or anything. I took 2 ibuprofen last night and an antihistamine I’ve got on prescription and it’s subsided somewhat. This warm weather probably isn’t helping.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated :)

Jenny15

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Jazz music, science denial, and running out of coffee.
Hi

I posted yesterday as I have noticed swollen hands (particularly my right one) and my legs too.. I can’t make a fist with my hand (don’t think it’s possible with my legs ) I’m just wondering if it could be anything diabetes related? It’s not painful and no tingling or anything. I took 2 ibuprofen last night and an antihistamine I’ve got on prescription and it’s subsided somewhat. This warm weather probably isn’t helping.

Any ideas gratefully appreciated :)
Hi, it could be diabetes related or due to something completely different.

Are you on any prescribed medications?

How long ago did the swelling start?

Thanks

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Hi there,

I would strongly suggest getting this looked at as soon as possible if it starts up again. You said it has subsided. Is all ok now? Did you get any advice from a medical professional regarding this prior to your post?

Hard to say what this could be. I can't say I've ever had any issues like that and I've been a Type 1 for over 36 years.

If all is ok now I would still be tempted to have a word with your GP or maybe call 111 and see what they think at least.

Be nice to know what it is if you do get any clarification.

:)

Reactions: gemma_T1

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
I got swollen legs after a doctor prescribed too much medicine for lowering my blood pressure. The very low blood pressure almost shut down my kidneys.

SimonCrox

I agree with all the above.
You should see your GP and get your urine tested to see if too much protein in urine.
The comment above about blood pressure medication causing this is very sensible (the amlodipine group and doxazosin group cause this), but to cause it in hands would be unusual
Could be a joint problem so ibuprofen might help, but if no particular pain, I'd get GP advice first and not take the ibuprofen.
Could be an allergic problem, but one would expect blotchy skin rash, wheezy chest.
So need to see GP
best wishes

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My own experience is that I get swollen with high blood sugars (possibly a reaction to the dehydration caused by peeing all the sugar out?). Its not normal so do take note of all the other factors mentioned in this thread to give your GP some clues.

Reactions: SimonCrox

SimonCrox

My own experience is that I get swollen with high blood sugars (possibly a reaction to the dehydration caused by peeing all the sugar out?). Its not normal so do take note of all the other factors mentioned in this thread to give your GP some clues.
Good point - folk often used to get swollen if untreated diabetic for a while, and shortly after starting insulin, would get swollen lower legs.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Saw my GP last week about swollen ankles and given medication to try and help

Reactions: Jenny15