Swollen legs and feet

les153

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and just wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.
Just been away in the sun for a week and towards the end my feet became really swollen
and painfull coupled with swelling in the lower leg were the skin became really tight.I'm
type 2 diabetic and on the usual meds ie. metforin with blood pressure and high colesterol
tablets.
Anybody got any advice, it's started to ease since I've been home. Thanks.

Ziggy2017

Type of diabetes
Type 3
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes and injections
Hi @les153 the heat can make your feet swell were you wearing tight shoes? My dad always makes me wear trainers on holiday rather than sandals as they are easier and comfortable to walk in :)

Reactions: dmckatana

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Heat affects my feet and lower legs, making the skin tight and uncomfortable even under my feet. I have found that reducing my carb intake has made a huge difference and this summer they were not noticeably swollen even on the hottest days.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

les153

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Heat affects my feet and lower legs, making the skin tight and uncomfortable even under my feet. I have found that reducing my carb intake has made a huge difference and this summer they were not noticeably swollen even on the hottest days.
Thanks Phoenix for that info I'm back on the low carb diet now the holiday is over, at least I don't feel alone in this
anymore.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hello "Phoenix55" and everybody else here :)

I agree with you, that the amount of carbs you eat has effect. I'm on amlodipin, and it has, as a possible side effect, swollen feet - got that. After reducing my intake of carbs, the swelling has gone down, considerably, even if I have gone on with the same amount of amlodipin.
Statement maybe not proven with this, but this seems to strongly support your thoughts about carb intake...

les153

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello "Phoenix55" and everybody else here :)

I agree with you, that the amount of carbs you eat has effect. I'm on amlodipin, and it has, as a possible side effect, swollen feet - got that. After reducing my intake of carbs, the swelling has gone down, considerably, even if I have gone on with the same amount of amlodipin.
Statement maybe not proven with this, but this seems to strongly support your thoughts about carb intake...

Thanks Mike, I'm also on amlodipine so that could be part of the problem, thanks for the insight.

Reactions: mike@work

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Mike, I'm also on amlodipine so that could be part of the problem, thanks for the insight.

OK - you're welcome les153 :)
This is as far as I know a very common side effect caused by amlodipine. Hurting muscles is, sorry to say, also quite a common problem, as far as I can remember. If you also drank more than usual, then it is possible that the problem is solved ...