symptom less hypos...

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello everyone,
My son is five years old and diagnosed type 1 few months ago.He is in his honey moon phase and doing fine,,
He sometimes go hypo but without any symptom,I mean I just test him routine wise and his levels r low like 3.2,3.3 but he was absolutely fine,playing like normal.. Even one day his bs reading was 2.8 but he was not showing any sign of hypo and was ok.
Is it normal? I mean I m scared if his levels go dangerously down and like he don't show any symptom, how would I know that his levels r going down???
Any advice/suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's certainly not uncommon. On this forum it's referred to as "Hypo awareness" and many people lose it or never had it to begin with.

Personally, I have very strong hypo awareness, but I don't start to experience the symptoms until about 3.0. At that point, it seems to come on all at once: cold sweats, hand tremors, extreme hunger, etc. I actually consider that a good thing as I'd prefer not to feel that way anytime I dropped below 4.0.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
He sometimes go hypo but without any symptom,

Does your son know how to spot the symptoms and tell you when he is low?

Sweating, confusion & tiredness (yawning) are just a few of the visual signs that a observer can see when someone is going hypo. Speak with his diabetes team about your concerns.

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It's certainly not uncommon. On this forum it's referred to as "Hypo awareness" and many people lose it or never had it to begin with.

Personally, I have very strong hypo awareness, but I don't start to experience the symptoms until about 3.0. At that point, it seems to come on all at once: cold sweats, hand tremors, extreme hunger, etc. I actually consider that a good thing as I'd prefer not to feel that way anytime I dropped below 4.0.
Thanks for the reply.
I have read that very low levels r also not good for body, that's why I m worried.
When he is hypoing he don't know then obviously how would I know????

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Does your son know how to spot the symptoms and tell you when he is low?

Sweating, confusion & tiredness (yawning) are just a few of the visual signs that a observer can see when someone is going hypo. Speak with his diabetes team about your concerns.
Yes I regularly told him to tell me if he experienced any of these symptoms.
That's why I m concerned he do absolutely fine during hypo and don't have any visual symptoms also!!!!

Anyways thanks for the reply...

Reactions: 2 people

Ellie's mum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, my daughter aged 9 was diagnosed mid Feb this year and I had the same concerns. She was 2.9 before her lunch 1 day last week and she didn't have a clue she was that low! I spoke to our diabetic nurse and she reduced the amount of insulin she was having with her breakfast. Late morning hypos have been an issue for her since she went into the honeymoon period and now she's on a very low insulin-carbs ratio with her breakfast. Do you have regular contact with your diabetic nurse?

rsagoo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, we have the same issue with our 3 year old son. His symptoms are similar when he's high or low, sometimes he gets quieter and just wants to sit and watch tv and suck his thumb, but mostly he just playing as usual.

We've told the team and they say it will take time as he's so young. Hopefully as they get older and we as parents become more sensitive to the small signs. it'll be easier to detect. We're thinking of investing in a Freestyle Libre, especially for when going out.

twinklystar

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My four year old was diagnosed in January 2015 and I have the same issue. He's had readings as low as 2.1 and showed no signs and Ive only known when he's been tested. Saying that I have noticed that sometimes he becomes a bit drowsy or starts to ask for food, but this is only on the very rare occasion. Hopefully when he gets older he will be able to notice the symptoms himself.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just had a read through the whole thread and I am thinking that he has not really reported symptoms because he is not acutely aware of the significance.
young children don't normally have a terribly long attention span and he may fleetingly feel a bit funny but it soon passes as he will be busy engaging in his surroundings and not thinking --" I must tell mummy my brow feels a bit sweaty , or my hands feel a bit shaky."

certainly , you should discuss all of your concerns with the DSN.
they deal with many young children in this position.

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My four year old was diagnosed in January 2015 and I have the same issue. He's had readings as low as 2.1 and showed no signs and Ive only known when he's been tested. Saying that I have noticed that sometimes he becomes a bit drowsy or starts to ask for food, but this is only on the very rare occasion. Hopefully when he gets older he will be able to notice the symptoms himself.
Thanks for the reply!
Yes u r right,I also think that when he grows up he will be able to spot the symptoms. Until then I have to be extra careful....

maryam123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
just had a read through the whole thread and I am thinking that he has not really reported symptoms because he is not acutely aware of the significance.
young children don't normally have a terribly long attention span and he may fleetingly feel a bit funny but it soon passes as he will be busy engaging in his surroundings and not thinking --" I must tell mummy my brow feels a bit sweaty , or my hands feel a bit shaky."

certainly , you should discuss all of your concerns with the DSN.
they deal with many young children in this position.
Thankyou,,
Young children are difficult to handle and becomes more tough if they r having diabetes!!!
But I m trying my best to deal with it as smoothly as I can. I'll definitely discuss it with his doctor,have an appointment after two weeks.