T1 And Shift Work

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Wondered if anyone has experience or tips regarding working shifts and managing BG levels? I was diagnosed in February and have been off work since following complications and surgery. I'm thinking about how I go back to work which involves late nights, usually active and stressful, finishing at about 0230 with a 45 minute drive home.
Since leaving hospital I've stuck to a pretty strict regime, I carb count, take levemir at 2200 and bolus novorapid with 3 meals a day each meal is around 40g CHO. Really appreciate any advice or thoughts.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've worked a variety of shifts over the years including nights, all I would say @col101 is see how it all goes and if you have any issues with your bg levels speak with your DSN.

However regular bg testing and keeping plenty of carby snacks (including fast-acting glucose) is good advice, also make your work colleagues aware that you have type 1, but hopefully it will all go well but be prepared to make some insulin adjustments as activity and stress can effect bg levels.

Good luck and best wishes.

Reactions: 4 people

JimJams

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ALOT!
As above mate, when i was first diagnosed i was working shifts on a production line which gave you no time to check levels etc so it was all a massive learning curve, it was difficult but you do get there. 12 hour nightshifts with a 30 minute drive to and from work.
2 years on im currently sitting abroad working nightshifts in the desert. Don't be afraid, just keep checking and correcting if need be, my rucksacks always beside me where ever i go with snacks, glucose tabs and my meter.

Reactions: 4 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would also echo the advice given above @col101 the beauty of basal bolus & carb counting is the freedom to change what you eat & when you eat it, just try to test as often as possible to see if you notice any kind of patterns when you go back.

@JimJams I love your positivity! while only having diabetes 2 years you sound like you've absolutely took it on board and not let it beat you :)

Reactions: 2 people

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your support and reassurance it's good to know it's not as daunting as it first seemed. Many thank

Reactions: 2 people