T1 + Asthma WWYD?

johen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I desperately need advice.
I am T1 for 30+ years, currently in my early 50s. I have been well past 2-3 years but previously I had 3-4 winters where I got colds/viruses which all caused chest infections and I have been left with a "asthmatic when ill" kind of arrangement. I have previously had inhalers - steroid and relievers, plus two admissions into hospital, one where I was put on a nebuliser fot the weekend and another with suspected DKA after being subscribed oral steroid tablets.
I am really scared of the coronavirus like most people. My OH works on London Underground and if he gets it, he will be "ok" and is being very careful at the moment as he doesnt want to bring it home to me. He travels on 2 buses and 2 trains to get to and fro work. He wears disposable gloves, washes hands very frequently, uses hand sanitiser and avoids the rush hour and travels in the cab of the tube trains with a driver rather than the tube carriages.
To reduce the risk to me, I could go stay with my mum who is over 70 so is staying home in a house she lives in alone. Thing is my mum is 200 miles away from me. I would have to travel by one train (1.75hours) and a taxi. However once I got there I would be safe. I would have to keep away from mum for 14 days to make sure I didnt have it already but after that we could both relax and keep each other company.
The flip side to this is I would miss my OH so much. I keep crying at the thought of having to go and leave him to fend for himself., bereft from his support and his warm hugs which I live for. We have just adopted 2 kittens and I dont want to leave them either. If I knew it was for 2 weeks then it would be manageable but this could be for months..
Then...what would happen if the country went into lockdown and my OH wasnt required to go to work? We would be 200miles away from each other and I'd have no way of getting back home.
Can you tell my anxiety is very high tonight?
If any of you can help me see the clarity amongst this whole sorry quandary, to help me come to the right decision, I would be so grateful. Hope you are all keeping well xxxx

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

OK? I empathise with your quandary. Your elderly mum on her own. Or your fella with two cats..
You will be surprised how us chaps can take care of ourselves... There's modern stuff like video calling too.
You may just find the place cleaner when you get back than when you left it? ;)

Nobody can realy tell you what to do in situations like these.. It's new territory after all.
Pending on what your husband does on the underground, He may well be needed for maintenance crew? (Just guessing.)

As a family unit. You have to continue to fight another day.

You really should be discussing this with yer bloke..

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@johen I am also Type 1 and asthmatic. I saw a programme this evening where the expert said he was more concerned about diabetics than asthmatics. That surprised me as it's the struggling to breathe that I was worried about, if I catch the corona virus. He added that it is only poorly controlled diabetics that would concern him. I hope that puts your mind at rest a little bit.