T1 diagnosed 25 years ago seeking similar for mutual support

AlisonH

Hi, am 50 years old with half my life as a T1 so far.

I'm generally tired and after 25 years I feel I still haven't got things under control.

It would be lovely to share with fellow T1s as I feel quite lonely.

Am on Humalog and Lantus and what feels like a million other medicines.

Alison

suehat

Re: T1 diagnosed 25 years ago seeking similar for mutual sup

Hi Alison,

I've been type 1 for 33 years and echo exactly what you've said! You're definitely not on your own!

Happy to listen / grumble too!

Sue

SewK8

Hello
You are definitely not alone! I was diagnosed at 11yrs old and I turn 40 this year. Diabetes has always been a struggle for me. I am being assessed for a pump so really hope to gain tighter control.

Kat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Welcome to the forum Alison :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Alison,
There are lots of us, we're not alone. Aged 59 now, I was diagnosed 28 years ago. I'm still not getting it right either! I'm on Novorapid and Glargine but also on a statin and thyroxine.
Yoga and swimming help me to feel positive when my diabetic spikes get me down.
It's nice to know that other people experience and deal with the same challenges!
Cheers!
LdeL

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Alison. Have had diabetes for 27 years (am now 40) I've been through some dark times with it but am finally in a better place with things. Still have days when I bitterly resent it but overall I am much better. The turning point for me was reducing my carbs and thereby achieving steady 'normal' bg levels without the maddening frustration of inexplicable highs and lows. This forum was a Godsend and I know I would still be stuck where I was without it. Any questions you have should find an answer here. Feel free to grumble and moan anytime - there are lots of sympathetic ears hear to listen :smile:

SandyDee

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Hello, so nice (although that doesn't sound quite right) to hear people experiencing the same problems. I was diagnosed 27 years ago and at the grand old age of 46 still can't get it right. I remember a great - aunt telling me not to let it change my life when I was diagnosed but you can't help it, it just does. :crazy:

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm 38, diagnosed 18 years ago and I'll be honest I still don't get it most of the time. People on here are using phrases I've never heard and I feel like a newbie! Someone mentioned doing a correction dose if you go high but I thought you had to have four hours between jabs?
Nurse appoints on Tuesday and she doesn't know much more than me, but I do have lots of questions for her. Time to take it all seriously I think. X

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

AlisonH said:
Hi, am 50 years old with half my life as a T1 so far.

I'm generally tired and after 25 years I feel I still haven't got things under control.

It would be lovely to share with fellow T1s as I feel quite lonely.

Am on Humalog and Lantus and what feels like a million other medicines.

Alison

Hi Alison so nice to meet you :wave: I'm a fellow type 1, had it for 24 years with other medical conditions that just happened to hitch a ride............................ and decided to stay. I'm on NovoRapid and Insulatard and I've just came out of hospital after an eye operation, I know what you mean about feeling a bit lonely, I feel like that sometimes.

Take care, with my very best wishes RRB :)

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi Alison

At the age of 59 I have been T1 now for 47 years. It's never going to be easy, I learn something new all the time but there seem to be a lot of diabetics on this site who go through the same experiences we do. X. D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Thundercat said:
Hi RRB. How are you after your op?

Hi Thundercat thank you for asking, lovely to hear from you. Op went ok, I have a 80% gas bubble inside the eye, no pain just a bit uncomfortable and difficult to sleep as I'm only allowed to sleep on the left side. I'm doing ok I can still do most things but to take it easy and not to go mad, no lifting,no swimming, or workout at the Gym etc etc. I'm taking 11 eye drops per day and 2 tablets for pressure. I will be going back to Southampton in about 2 weeks or so for a check up.

So glad to be home and the wonderful support from the forum really cheered me.

RRB x