**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Hi all

So this pregnancy malarkey continues to include little snippets of worry.

I know babies with diabetic mamas are renowned for being "on the bigger side" but the reality is starting to hit home a bit and the worry that I could be doing more is simmering in the background.

At 26 weeks I've only just started to receive my measuring scans and already I'm above the "norm" and baby is roughly 2lb 4oz (the app I use says typically babies weigh about 1.7lb at this point).

I have tried to reduce my carb intake and annoyingly exercise is pretty much a non-starter due to discomfort and heat, although I try to potter around the house and garden as much as possible after coming home from my full-time job.

Can anyone suggest anything? They say it's because the baby is getting too much glucose, my time in range (using Medtronic pump and G4 CGM) is in the 80% range I'm also on a small dose of Metformin for resistance but not sure I'm seeing the benefits.

I'm a natural worrier and although my team and husband are nothing but supportive and reassuring I can't help but get a little secretly stressed at the numbers.

Thanks
Michelle

• Hug
Reactions: Hopeful34 and Pipp

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @**shell**
I'm not t1, but until someone more knowledgeable comes along I'd say do nothing drastic, these things are well monitored and you will be looked after. Stress could be raising your sugars too.
However I'd also say just eat plenty of simple real food, meat, fish, eggs, dairy, veg and some fruit. Baby and you need sustenance and nutrients

Reactions: **shell**

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sticking with low carb is the best option I know - not eating less. But you need support from your team to do this.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi @**shell** and congrats on your pregnancy.

I've had 2 T1pregnancies (admittedly 30 years ago) but though the tech has improved (I so wish I'd had a cgm) I think the principles are probably the same.

And T1s have been having successful pregnancies since before the invention of cgms, insulin pumps and even glucometers, so I would strongly urge you not to panic about scan sizes.

Maybe you have a baby who is going to be tall? (My 194cm son was too tall for standard newborn baby clothes at birth and wasn't overweight fat all, he just had height in his genes.)And I have no idea how accurate modern scan sizes are, or even how accurate your dates are?

What do your team say? Are they worried? They are your first port of call and I would expect and hope that they would be able to reassure you on this one.

Hopefully some younger (than me) T1 mums will post soon.

Lakeslover

I am also not type 1 but from my experience with my daughter and step daughter I would say trust your team. I’m sure they will keep you under close review and will help if they think there is more you could be doing.

In respect of exercise could you try gentle swimming, just walking in a pool, or even find a pregnancy yoga class?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First: Congratulations with your pregnancy! :joyful:
Can anyone suggest anything? They say it's because the baby is getting too much glucose, my time in range (using Medtronic pump and G4 CGM) is in the 80% range
Time in range is the most important factor, but it also depends on what your range and hba1c are.
If your range is 4 to 10 and you spend most time at the top end of this range, you'll still have more glucose in your bloodstream than a non diabetic, and a higher chance on a larger baby.

I'd like to echo the others: speak to your team about your worries, they can help not only with the physical part of pregnancy but also with the emotional aspects. :)
There are almost no pregnant diabetics who manage a truly non diabetic range, and if you manage to stay over 80% in range I think you're doing really well!

Some people have advised to reduce carbs. While this can be a helpful tool to minimise spikes and troughs, it's not something to do without being very much aware of how to adjust your insulin.
Your team is your best friend at the moment, and don't forget that many diabetics have had perfectly healthy children without access to CGM or even teststrips.

Wish you all the best!

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Thank you so much for the kind words of support.

My team just keep reassuring me that this is the exact reason they keep an eye on us and are full of praise for my glucose control. They are also really good at listening to my worries and offering advice, honestly don't have one bad word to say against them.

Baby will likely be tall, his dad is 6ft 4, although so far his legs are measuring quite short, his tummy is quite big.

I was swimming but the pool is council ran and by the time I get there after work the shallower end is filled with classes and the other part is so busy it's a little terryfing! I do try and get some walking in on weekends around NT places and I'm fortunate to have a gorgeous piece of coastline.

I think i will continue to chip away at replacing carbs with other foods outside of meal times and replacing my pastas/rice etc with legumes. Seems to have been a very small sacrifice so far, especially since my Giant Skittles craving seems to have passed!!

X

• Friendly
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My team just keep reassuring me that this is the exact reason they keep an eye on us and are full of praise for my glucose control.
That is wonderful!
Worrying during pregnancy is completely normal, diabetic or not.
Sounds like you're doing really well and have your team available to help with worries too. :joyful: