T1 Insulin resistance since having covid

PJWills

Hi,

I had covid in early October and since then I've had to increase my tresiba by 25% and my novorapid ratios by around 50%.

Some days the insulin barely budges my blood sugars. I had the vaccine 3 weeks ago and it seems to have made my immune system flare up again making my insulin barely register and getting more liver dumps.

I walk a lot and before I got covid walking always kept me in range and in fact sometimes drop me a bit but now with the same walks I spike to 16-17 and have to adj as they don't come down even hours later.

I've had T1 diabetes over 20 years (diagnosed at 19 and now 42) and this is the first time insulin is like water to me and I'm wondering if insulin receptors get damaged by covid. I haven't changed my food or routine nor have I gained or lost weight since pre covid in October.

My dsn said that some of his other patients have experienced this too. He's T1D too so it's nice to have someone that sympathises and helps without criticising etc.

Pen

Last edited:

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

PJWills

Thank you. This is what I'm hoping. I searched pub med and global data for articles but I'm guessing there isn't enough data yet.

Pen

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
How nasty for you @PJWills. This is a very wily virus and I wish you good luck in finding a way to cope with its after effects.
I’ve not looked at many articles, yet, to see if a change of insulin, infusion of stem cells, or other factors, help to fix post-Covid insulin uptake but maybe someone’s working on it?

Reactions: PJWills

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I had covid I had to take 50 units of Lantus and normally take 20 units. Novarapid amounts roughly doubled and I was barely eating. Caught covid in December and around march things had slowly improved.

Reactions: oldgreymare