T1 pumpers in/nearby Syston?

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, In a couple of months time I'll be moving to Syston (from the Netherlands). I would love to get in touch with other T1 (pumpers).

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, In a couple of months time I'll be moving to Syston (from the Netherlands). I would love to get in touch with other T1 (pumpers).

Hi Ineke - I live in the county, but if I remember @therower lives in Leicester. I don't know which part. Therower is a T1, but I don't think he's a pumper currently, but he may well know of others.

I don't know how much you know about diabetes care in Leicester, but we're very fortunate to both the University Hospitals and a research Centre in the city.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Ineke . Thanks for the mention @DCUKMod . I'm assuming this is Syston in Leicestershire.
At present I live about 6km from Syston, but we are planning a house move in the near future which will see me about 25 km from Syston. Not a great distance these days:).
I'm not a pumper , traditional MDI. Nonetheless if when you arrive here I can offer you any assistance I'll be glad to help.
PM me if needs be
Don't know any pumpers in this area but as DCUKMod points out we have a very good diabetes care system in the area.

Reactions: DCUKMod

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ineke - I live in the county, but if I remember @therower lives in Leicester. I don't know which part. Therower is a T1, but I don't think he's a pumper currently, but he may well know of others.

I don't know how much you know about diabetes care in Leicester, but we're very fortunate to both the University Hospitals and a research Centre in the city.

Thanks for the reply and the mention. It's already exciting enough to move, let alone to a different country. Some help in the medical and diabetical maze is wonderful!

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ineke . Thanks for the mention @DCUKMod . I'm assuming this is Syston in Leicestershire.
At present I live about 6km from Syston, but we are planning a house move in the near future which will see me about 25 km from Syston. Not a great distance these days:).
I'm not a pumper , traditional MDI. Nonetheless if when you arrive here I can offer you any assistance I'll be glad to help.
PM me if needs be
Don't know any pumpers in this area but as DCUKMod points out we have a very good diabetes care system in the area.

Hi Therower,

Thanks in advance for wanting to help me out. We are off to Syston (in Leicestershire indeed) this Friday, see about housing etc. It's a total different experience to look at a city from the going-to-live-here perspective instead of the happy holiday perspective.

I'll see if I can figure out the medical system, and I'll get back to you. It really reassures me knowing I have someone who can help me out.

Ineke

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the reply and the mention. It's already exciting enough to move, let alone to a different country. Some help in the medical and diabetical maze is wonderful!

Hi Ineke good luck with the forthcoming trip. Are you moving here for work, or to study?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Ineke . Only to glad to help if I can. I don't know everything but what I do know you are welcome to.
Have you previously visited Syston/ Leicestershire?

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Ineke good luck with the forthcoming trip. Are you moving here for work, or to study?
We are moving because we can. This might sound silly, since the life we have is great. Nice friends, nice work, nice house. So now we know how it is to live in Zaandam, The Netherlands. I've been visiting Syston since I was 6 and always liked it there. My husband feels at home in Syston as well. So we are making the big jump.

Ineke

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Ineke . Only to glad to help if I can. I don't know everything but what I do know you are welcome to.
Have you previously visited Syston/ Leicestershire?

Yes, I have. Have been coming to Syston (or better to say the UK) since I was little. My parents loved England. My father for the old motorbikes and bubble/microcars and my mum for the culture and Lord Nelson. And I always got excited when we came near Sherwood. Had always hoped for seeing Robin Hood! Never did, though... :)

We've got friends in Syston, so thats why we choose that city (?) to live in. It's always easier to start somewhere with friends.

We're on our way to Syston tomorrow. Last time we went was last year, summertime. We went to loveley places. A shire horse breeder, Montsorrel Rivival, Asda Thurmaston, local chippie, Feast India, Great Railway Station, Pumping Station, Foxton Locks, medical centre for my husband etc.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Ineke . Well it's obvious you know your way around the area.:)
Let's hope we can provide some sunshine for your arrival ( the weatherman isn't predicting it ).
Enjoy your visit and I hope you get the wheels moving for your big move.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We are moving because we can. This might sound silly, since the life we have is great. Nice friends, nice work, nice house. So now we know how it is to live in Zaandam, The Netherlands. I've been visiting Syston since I was 6 and always liked it there. My husband feels at home in Syston as well. So we are making the big jump.

Good for you! It's good to be bold in life.

Were you coming for work, I wondered if you were going to be working for a particular Dutchman who lives at that end of the county. Now, that would have been a small world!

Good luck with the move. It sounds like a fantastic big adventure.