T1D and flucloxacillin

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi All
Been prescribed this antibiotic today for an infection ( all good I hear you say )

it is meant to be taken 4 times per day at equal intervals but...... no meals or eating 2 hours either side of taking

so........... can anyone help with timing of eating at all ??

I was thinking 4am , 10am . 4pm , and 10pm for the medicine

meals at 7:30am , 12:30pm , 6:30pm

there is no allowance for hypos though !! :eek:

any thoughts anyone ?????

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Are you likely to have hypos when you have an infection?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Morning @himtoo - Whilst it says "on an empty stomach", it's not a huge deal if you don't do that, but if you aim for when you wake, mid-morning, mid-afternoon and just before bed, you're probably not going to go too far wrong. It's more a case of not having absorption going on concurrently with taking them, so a couple of hours leeway is needed.

And in addition, the 6 hour intervals also have a bit of leeway too...

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
thanks for the replies -- I set an alarm for 4am and took my first one , have just eaten brekkie , and will take my next one around 10am
thanks @tim2000s for your thoughts -- I will cut myself a bit of slack going forward the rest of the week !!:)

@dancer -- my bloods have not been elevated with this infection - I have apparently burst a blood vessel in my leg and the flucloxacillin is to calm down the swelling and heat emanating from the area. ( so maybe an actual infection is not the correct word) but that is what the doctor prescribed.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Talk to your chemists they are very good with the type of issue (better then most GPs).