T1D medals

sue58

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have just been reading the latest newsletter and see that Diabetes UK give out medals to people who have been diagnosed for certain lengths of time. It made me wonder how they got these medals. Can anyone answer this please ???

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

My T1 mate (bass player D since 18 months old.) got one a while back for "50 years service."??

Lol. I got another 9 more to go if that's the case...

Reactions: PI3.14 and Juicyj

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to wait til I'm 81 to get a 50 year medal! I highly doubt I will live that long. :D
Yes, the future.....
You will get a lovely letter from the head of the "galactic senate" & share your day with the winner of "Crufts." ;)

Reactions: Juicyj and mahola

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Received my gold medal last year. My hospital consultant applied for me so I suggest you have a word, as they have to confirm the length of diabetes diagnosis. You can also apply for the Joslin medal (America) if you so wish. If you have the UK medal that is virtually all the proof they ask for.

D

Deleted member 308541

I have to wait til I'm 81 to get a 50 year medal! I highly doubt I will live that long

@Sir / Dame Mahola.

If you were a "entertainer or sportsperson" you would get one easily, plus they would probably throw in a knighthood to go with it. :D

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair.
I saw at least 3 T1s run the Bath half marathon in a respectable time last Sunday. (On behalf of DUK & JDRF.)

They weren't youngsters either!
One runner I managed to speak to was on MDI and must have been older than me... :cool:

Keep,the faith, whatever type you are....

Reactions: Dodo and Juicyj
D

Deleted member 308541

Makes you wonder what other health milestones get rewarded, a friend of mine has been in remission from cancer for 25 years approx so would be a good candidate for one.

He will get buckleys here in Australia though, but the former Prime Minister Abbott can hand out a knighthood to Prince Phillip the Duke Of Edinburgh. :meh:

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Another 22 years for me and I will be 81, good god, but I hope I make it lol:D

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Makes you wonder what other health milestones get rewarded, a friend of mine has been in remission from cancer for 25 years approx so would be a good candidate for one.

He will get buckleys here in Australia though, but the former Prime Minister Abbott can hand out a knighthood to Prince Phillip the Duke Of Edinburgh. :meh:

I see where yer coming from dude. I would just be content to wake up in 9 years time with either no "complications" or any aditional major worry with something like the "big C." ;)

Reactions: Just_Me_Rachel
D

Deleted member 308541

I see where yer coming from dude. I would just be content to wake up in 9 years time with either no "complications" or any aditional major worry with something like the "big C." ;)
He also has T2 Diabetes with the usual insulin dependency.

I hope you get a award Jaylee.

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
philchap, it was November for me too but when I met with the consultant at the diabetic clinic in April that year he picked up that the 50 years anniversary was only seven months away. He told me to start the ball rolling and gave me the web-link. A week later my GP gave me the letter I needed to send to the BDA confirming the date I went onto insulin. I feel sure it only took around 4 weeks for the medal to get here so I had it months before the actual date due. Perhaps they use the the year of diagnosis rather than the exact date.

Bill

philchap1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
philchap, it was November for me too but when I met with the consultant at the diabetic clinic in April that year he picked up that the 50 years anniversary was only seven months away. He told me to start the ball rolling and gave me the web-link. A week later my GP gave me the letter I needed to send to the BDA confirming the date I went onto insulin. I feel sure it only took around 4 weeks for the medal to get here so I had it months before the actual date due. Perhaps they use the the year of diagnosis rather than the exact date.

Bill
Thank you

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my Alan Nabarro medal last year, and it was a personal milestone, as when I was a child (4) growing up with the old fashioned equipment etc we had to use, the thought of living 50 years as a diabetic seemed an impossible goal. Now I've made it, I'm hoping to make it to 60, then 70 years on insulin.
Keeping positive as much as possible is my best advice.