1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

T1D new meter

Discussion in 'Blood Glucose Monitoring' started by Besty W, Feb 11, 2017.

1. Besty W

Besty W Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Morning all, I'm currently using a trueyou mini, however I need to replace it as the case it damaged.

I test 5-6 times a day. Has anyone got any recommendations that are on NHS prescription

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

All the Accu-Chek meters are very good, before moving to a pump I was using the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert meter and before that I was using the Contour Next meters (which were equally as good).

3. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got an Accu-Chek Mobile from my diabetes nurse and a prescription for consumables.

4. Besty W

Besty W Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the Bayer test strips are available, I've applied for a free contour next meter so I can track on the iPhone

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Yes they are available on prescription.

6. Coopsman1

Coopsman1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Highly recommend glucoman areo 2k or the freestyle optium neo due to small size

7. db89

db89 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I like and use the Accu Chek Aviva Expert as it gives you bolus advice and can be customised to your needs for different times in the day.

The only thing it doesn't test is ketones which I was given a Freestyle Optium Neo for and a modest amount of strips if I need them.

8. therower

therower Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Received a new Optium Neo today. Seems like a nice, compact meter.
    Wanted to see how it compares with my slightly older Optium Xceed.
    Set both meters side by side, strips in, lanced finger and applied blood to both meters.
    Was expecting some difference in results but amazed to see both meters give exactly same reading, have since repeated this test and again exact readings.
    Feel confident using new meter.

9. GrantGam

GrantGam Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I would strongly recommend the Dario All in One Smart meter. It's not only a fantastic size, but the smartphone app is also fantastic.

Strips and lancets are available on the NHS, and at last check, slightly cheaper than those which are typically issued (Glucomen, etc).

• Informative Informative x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook