T2 and CKD

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm t2 on insulin, I've been diabetic for about 20 years and on insulin for approx 11 years. I'm at Stage 4 CKD, and have been around 17 for nearly a year. It has been slightly lower previously - down to 15 when I was very ill several years ago (perotinitis!) So I've had the talks with my renal consultant about going onto dialysis and possible kidney transplants. What I'd like to know is if there's any way I can improve my kidney function? I've just started the LCHF diet (3 days on it so far) and my blood sugars have been steady for nearly a year (approx 5.5 - 6.5 am and between 8 - 11 pm) which I was really pleased with until just having to start taking steroids for bowel problems! So b.s. and insulin have risen dramatically! Would any supplements help at all? Can kidneys return to more normal function?
I'd be interested to hear any suggestions, though I fear I may have left it a bit late.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@francesk Hi, I am T1D and was diagnosed stage 4 CKD around 2 years ago. My levels are at 21 and, apparantly, have been for the past 5 years (was never told!!). My renal doctor said there is no way to get the kidneys to ever get any better :( . Just tight control of your diabetes. I have never really had good control of my T1D up until i was told about CKD.

francesk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your reply, porl69. It's rather as I feared! I'm going to make every effort to look after my kidneys as much as possible, and really tighten up my b.g. control. These steroids are playing havoc with my b.p. though and am awaiting a phone call from my doctor to advise me whether or not to take a small amount of a blood pressure tablet but my eGFR has dropped to 16 at present. Anyway I'm going to do the best I can.