T2 and glucose rise after exercise

Sanober

Dislikes
Not really knowing what's going on inside my Endocrine system!!!
Hi

I'm recently diagnosed T2, 34 and told I'm slim with good BMI/weight/chol levels - no meds as yet (I have refused Statins)

I got fed up and got a meter recently after being fobbed off for months (from being told the strips are too expensive...I'm not making this up, to being told that it can lead to depression due to constant let downs from poor readings...).

I keep fit, not at athletic levels but at least 3 -6 hours of exercise a week.

So I tested before I embarked on a Zumba class, 7.5 - I felt good anyway before I tested, had one Ryvita wth cheese and off I went. Still feeling good after an hour of Zumba, I went on to an hour of Boxercise, shoved some hazelnuts down in between, but literally a small handful.

I tested an hour and a half later and I was at 8.7

I know it's not massively high but I'm curious as to why my sugar's up?

My c-peptide tested normal. So I assume I'm insulin resistant but I'm awaiting MODY results.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My guess is that the cheese slowed absorption of carbohydrate from ryvita, so it might be worth having just ryvita or ryvita with something less fatty, such as yeast extract or even very thin scraping of jam / honey / marmalade.
Also, time of day can affect how body reacts to exercise and food.

seanrigley

It seems logical for bg to rise in T2 post exercisel. Exercise rightly signals to the liver to release glucose to meet the increased demand from muscles. However, the muscles do not transport this glucose efficiently (insulin resistant) and this leads to a rise in bg.