T2 Early Pregnancy

ClaireH88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All
I am T2 currently taking insulin as I had been attending the pre-conception clinic since October last year. I also suffer from PCOS. After getting a HBA1C at the start of May of 51, we were given the green light to start trying to conceive, and, even though the consultant at the pre-conception clinic told me it will not happen for us, I’ve found out I am about 5-6 weeks pregnant! We are absolutely over the moon. I’ve been taking my folic acid and my first midwife appointment has been booked for 25th July. Is this normal to wait so long with me being diabetic? I was told when I was referred to the clinic that I would have more appointments if/when I fell pregnant?

Also, are there any supplements out there that don’t have folic acid in, or should I buy the vitamins separately?

I have also found my blood sugars are higher than normal, I am struggling to get my morning reading below 9/10 and my sugars during the day vary between 5-7. I am really worried my lack of control will cause me to lose our little miracle.

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @ClaireH88 Huge congratulations!:D
I’m type 1 diabetic and also just found out I am pregnant (very early), but I also have an 18 month old.
Ok, so I’m not sure about where you live but in my area, I have a midwife that takes care of the pregnancy side, and a diabetes consultant separately that I saw at hospital, once a month to begin with and then went down to once every two weeks when I was later in pregnancy. And then at 24 weeks I also saw another consultant which took care of growth and the Birth plan.
You should have a viability scan at 8 weeks to make sure everything looks ok so far. So I would get in touch to see who to speak to about this. Then the 12 week scan and so on.
It is fine to take pregnancy vitamins that contain folic acid but take the 5mg folic acid too.
Are you on multiple daily injections? I can’t really advise what to do about your highs in the morning if so as I’m on a pump and can’t really remember about MDI, so sorry about that. I would ask your DSN, can you ring them?
Hope this helps and Good luck xx

Reactions: gemma_T1

ClaireH88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello @ClaireH88 Huge congratulations!:D
I’m type 1 diabetic and also just found out I am pregnant (very early), but I also have an 18 month old.
Ok, so I’m not sure about where you live but in my area, I have a midwife that takes care of the pregnancy side, and a diabetes consultant separately that I saw at hospital, once a month to begin with and then went down to once every two weeks when I was later in pregnancy. And then at 24 weeks I also saw another consultant which took care of growth and the Birth plan.
You should have a viability scan at 8 weeks to make sure everything looks ok so far. So I would get in touch to see who to speak to about this. Then the 12 week scan and so on.
It is fine to take pregnancy vitamins that contain folic acid but take the 5mg folic acid too.
Are you on multiple daily injections? I can’t really advise what to do about your highs in the morning if so as I’m on a pump and can’t really remember about MDI, so sorry about that. I would ask your DSN, can you ring them?
Hope this helps and Good luck xx

Hi @myarnton1 thank you for your reply and congratulations! I have actually found my sugar levels have normalised since I put this post up (sods law) I think a lot of it was to do with the constant heat, I've really struggled in this weather with dehydration too.
I will get myself some pregnancy vitamins, I wasn't sure if there is such a thing as taking "too much" folic acid. They booked my first appointment for around the 8 week mark, do they do the viability scan at the hospital or at the GP? Sorry, I don't have many friends who have babies and because we haven't announced anything yet I don't really have anyone to ask these questions! I spoke to my nurse at the clinic and she said my midwife will refer me to them up at the hospital when I see her later this month.
I currently only take set doses of insulin before meals and one before bed time. It is a bit trial and error, my control is usually better through the day, I just need to get a grip on my morning readings!

myarnton1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @myarnton1 thank you for your reply and congratulations! I have actually found my sugar levels have normalised since I put this post up (sods law) I think a lot of it was to do with the constant heat, I've really struggled in this weather with dehydration too.
I will get myself some pregnancy vitamins, I wasn't sure if there is such a thing as taking "too much" folic acid. They booked my first appointment for around the 8 week mark, do they do the viability scan at the hospital or at the GP? Sorry, I don't have many friends who have babies and because we haven't announced anything yet I don't really have anyone to ask these questions! I spoke to my nurse at the clinic and she said my midwife will refer me to them up at the hospital when I see her later this month.
I currently only take set doses of insulin before meals and one before bed time. It is a bit trial and error, my control is usually better through the day, I just need to get a grip on my morning readings!
I’m glad they’ve improved for you! This weather does play up with our sugars.
Yeah your body will discrete the excess folic acid that it doesn’t need through urine.
I had the 8 week scan at antenatal clinic at my hospital, that is also where I see my diabetes consultant as luckily he does antenatal.
Have you phoned your diabetes team to let them? They will need to know to set up your antenatal/diabetic clinics. And they should be able to answer some of your questions as I’m not sure of the set up of your diabetes care.
But don’t worry about asking lots of questions there will always be someone on here who can answer them xx

Reactions: Yvonnie

Yvonnie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m T2 on insulin too and 8 weeks

I’ve been seeing the DN at twice a week since I found out
She’s increased my insulin drastically to bring my levels down
I’ve also seen the diabetic consultant twice and scheduled for weekly appointments with either nurse or Dr from now on

They prescribed 5mg Folic acid and 75mg Aspirin