T2 Libre User added MiaoMiao and Spike....reflections

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not wanting to derail LitteGreycat's Libre thread, I thought I would share my experiences as a fellow T2 Libre user who has recently added a MiaoMiao and Spike to the sensor.
I have used three sensors and found the results from the first two a bit inconsistent - one under read a lot by quite a large variable - sometimes 2mmol/l, the next one over read - saying sugars were for instance 7.6 seconds after an Accuchek Mobile glucometer reading of 5.4. I get that Blood readings are different to the sensors interstitial glucose readings - ahead by about 20 min to the interstitial reading, but a variation of over 2mmol/l seemed a bit much.

Then I heard about MiaoMiao and other transmitters which "convert" the Flash readings from the sensor to a more CGM- Type device. And that the software, in my case, Spike for Apple devices was sophisticated and could be calibrated to provide a more accurate, almost continuous trend. The MiaoMiao connects the sensor to the software by Bluetooth and it all happens automatically with a fantastic graphic collection of data stored.

The setup of Spike is not exactly the simplest, as Apple will not allow it on the App Store, so it has to be done in a more manual manner which the Developers have described in great detail. If you want a simpler life, it also involves purchasing a Developer Licence from Apple for £79 a year, or you have to "resign" the App every week if using a free account. Installation also involves installing Xcode, which takes up a LOT of drivespace and will not install unless you have about 100GB free during the installation.

If you use Android, none of this faff applies and xdrip software is apparently equally as competent and complex.

MiaoMiao's can be purchased online via the developer and cost around £180 or so. A tiny device with a charging cable comes in the box. It is fully waterproof and you can swim with it within the constraints of water immersion of the sensor, of course.
I have covered mine and the sensor with a cohesive (non-sticky) bandage, same as used by vets - just makes me more confident i won't bash it off somehow!

The installation of Spike went fine - the developers do give very good instructions.

And once you have calibrated the software it becomes quite amazing - the trends are easy to view, you can enter foods as well and of course T1's can do a lot more re insulin bolus adjustments etc. You can also share your monitoring with someone and set alarms where you want them - the whole night time glucose levels while you sleep is really interesting to see the following morning as well.

I check my levels with the Accuchek in the morning and add a new calibration at present. It's early days for me, but Miao Miao and specifically Spike, has been a real gamechanger for me - so pleased I took the plunge and invested in this, it has made the Libre much more useful for me - I rarely use the Reader or the Libreview app now except to start the sensor.

I will add further experiences as I get to use it more. We are all unique, so my experience may be very different to that of others. Just thought I would share.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mild panic this morning. Libre and Miaomiao not speaking to each other for 24 minutes when I woke up!
Checked sensor with reader -fine
Miaomiao connected to phone.

Restarted phone -no joy.

Quick hunt around forums etc eventually discovered the notorious “Air Gap” and after pushing MM and Libre together quite hard happily it all works again.

The stress did up my BS levels a bit though :)

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Next update.......I hope these updates as to use of the MiaoMiao to make the Libre's info even more useful for a Type 2 diabetic monitoring the peaks and lows of glucose levels and what triggers them are of value to others.........not been any feedback but I will post up experiences in the hope that this helps others.

So, for the past 24 hours the MM has been frustratingly losing comms with the Libre despite both apparently working fine. The Spike Facebook group is really helpful though - and I have learned more about the many settings of Spike and where to change them!
Eventually solved the problem for now, by detaching MM, quickly charging it again (was still partly charged but as it was off, took the opportunity). I resited the MM to sit above the Libre, rather than below it, as it is often shown in pictures. Plus I changed the Spike advanced settings to "very aggressive" mode under Suspension Prevention and also ticked Alternative method 1. So far it is ok - just need to find a way of securing the MM/Libre combo better, kinesio tape is too sticky and risks dislodging the libre if you need to change it. Vetwrap / cohesive bandage makes my arm itchy!!! still experimenting.

Spike's readings are now virtually the same as the Glucometer - the Reader and Libreview on the other hand, are not by quite some way, not just the 20 minute difference described between blood levels and interstitial levels. Much happier with the calibration available via Spike - makes the libre so much more useful for me anyway.