t2

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My favourite is stewed rhubarb sweetened with granular Splenda, with a tablespoon of flax seeds, soaked and then mixed in, served with a large dollop of unsweetened live plain yoghurt (I go for sheeps' or goats' milk yog if I can get it).

Always drink plenty of plain water - at least 2 litres over the day.

Failing all else, a stiff tumbler of Andrews' Liver Salts (Andrews Salts now, I believe) at bedtime. Known as 'blasting powder' in my family!

A couple of glasses of red wine always moves things for me, though can't drink at the moment because of meds.

Because of the meds, I'm eating 2 slices of Tesco Multgrain bread a day, plus 50g of Lizi's Granola, to get extra fibre. It takes my carb intake higher than I prefer, but it does help.

The blackest chocolate you can find (Lindt 90% cocoa solids) also helps.

When I was a smoker, the first cigarette of the day usually did it!

Don't try them all at once :shock:

Viv 8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Your pal needs to see a gp and get something on prescription, being constipated for 4 days isn't good news and he/she shouldn't let this continue any longer.

Nigel

hallii

I agree with Nigel, 4 days is too long and needs treatment. The doc. might prescribe some very effective little suppositories that work in about 10 mins, I don't know what's in them but boy! do they work!

H

RussG

Agree - see a GP straight away. You can get all sorts of unpleasant issues with unresolved constipation.

Movicol (on prescription) is also good. It's an osmotic laxative, so it doesn't make you go per se but softens the stool, which after four days is almost certainly going to be needed. It's fairly disgusting but effective.

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
Movicol (on prescription)
Believe you can get it over the shelf ?at Chemist
If you can not get to your GP, The chemist will sell you some suppositories or if you describe type of problem you have will normally have the fix. :wink:

I have to take something every day Because of Morphine Constipation
For me i found Movicol just makes me feel bloated and a real pain to drink every day
eerrrr :(

I use Lactulose solution 10ml and take it every day this will draw water into your stools same way
i find this easer to take long term

Bob