T2s: Calf/leg muscle loss after diagnosis?

S

Sean01

Hi @IronLioness
Diabetes - may the problem - but indirectly.
We are all different. We react to food and training differently and diabetes only magnifies the vast range of differences.
I've heard that muscle loss can be an issue and that it is important for diabetics to maintain size....and therefore strength - after all, bigger muscles burn more fuel (ue more energy....i.e. sugar)

However, if you are low carbing, you may be losing glycogen stores in your muscles - this will be particularly noticeable in large muscles like the quads. The reduced glycogen will lead to flatness and a loss of definition.

Water is also an issue - without the glycogen, water is not pulled into the muscles to enlarge them.

Add to this the possible effects of any medication plus any increase in aerobic activity (walking/jogging etc) you might be doing, general change of diet, medication and of course..........stress (even with a small s) from dealing with your new condition.

One last one. It strikes me that most of the side effects of T2 (I don't know much about the other types) are similar to age related conditions - loss of sight, limbs, heart disease, kidney disease, using the bathroom more frequently and of course a reduction in muscle mass and strength.

Diabetes may be causing an 'unavoidable effect' BUT, you can do what I know you can do. You can fight this and you can slow down some of the ageing effects. Hell, you can even reverse them. Keep the weights heavy. Go 'YATES' in the gym - you know what I mean, and by making your muscles work hard, you will maintain muscle mass for longer and you can even pack on a few pounds. (My shoulders, legs and back are still growing - you can do this.)

Now get out there, sling some extra iron on the bar, tighten up and belt out out those reps. You're doing this for you!

Gofrit

Sean

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Hi @IronLioness
Diabetes - may the problem - but indirectly.
We are all different. We react to food and training differently and diabetes only magnifies the vast range of differences.
I've heard that muscle loss can be an issue and that it is important for diabetics to maintain size....and therefore strength - after all, bigger muscles burn more fuel (ue more energy....i.e. sugar)

However, if you are low carbing, you may be losing glycogen stores in your muscles - this will be particularly noticeable in large muscles like the quads. The reduced glycogen will lead to flatness and a loss of definition.

Water is also an issue - without the glycogen, water is not pulled into the muscles to enlarge them.

Add to this the possible effects of any medication plus any increase in aerobic activity (walking/jogging etc) you might be doing, general change of diet, medication and of course..........stress (even with a small s) from dealing with your new condition.

One last one. It strikes me that most of the side effects of T2 (I don't know much about the other types) are similar to age related conditions - loss of sight, limbs, heart disease, kidney disease, using the bathroom more frequently and of course a reduction in muscle mass and strength.

Diabetes may be causing an 'unavoidable effect' BUT, you can do what I know you can do. You can fight this and you can slow down some of the ageing effects. Hell, you can even reverse them. Keep the weights heavy. Go 'YATES' in the gym - you know what I mean, and by making your muscles work hard, you will maintain muscle mass for longer and you can even pack on a few pounds. (My shoulders, legs and back are still growing - you can do this.)

Now get out there, sling some extra iron on the bar, tighten up and belt out out those reps. You're doing this for you!

Gofrit

Sean
@Sean01 yasss!!! By jiminy you should be a motivational speaker!
Totally understand 'going Yates' in the gym, I think that might be the way forward. That and maybe increasing carbs as this 30g I'm doing at the moment seems to be helping BG control BUT the upshot is I'm losing all my muscle, eek! Can't have that. There's *got* to be a happy medium, gotta be. OK, so new plan is, I'll start embracing Yates' mentality, maybe a bit of Platz, too , but definitely I'll test out upping carbs as I don't think it's good to be losing this amount of muscle, and it's only been since diagnosis, ie, when I dropped carbs right down. Stupidly, I didn't even consider this as a side effect of the diagnosis, yeesh. I need to really get in gear with figuring out nutritionally how to have reasonable carbs without pushing up my BG rating, especially to keep it sustainable.

Edited by Mod

Last edited by a moderator:

bmtest

If you have noticed a change in size it has probably happened, hopefully your are still as strong, it's a bit like picking some meat from shelf in aldi the composition is different in some cuts.

In you case you have become T2 so you have changed you need to look at research paperd on muscle fiber composition in fast twitch and slow twitch in particulat GLUT4 is it reduced in slow muscle fibers of T2 diabetics ?

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
If you have noticed a change in size it has probably happened, hopefully your are still as strong, it's a bit like picking some meat from shelf in aldi the composition is different in some cuts.

In you case you have become T2 so you have changed you need to look at research paperd on muscle fiber composition in fast twitch and slow twitch in particulat GLUT4 is it reduced in slow muscle fibers of T2 diabetics ?
Thanks @bmtest yes, definitely a change in shape, or rather, I just feel they've lost muscle - I can aaaalways tell, but it's very much reduced now. But what's GLUT4?

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Do a YouTube search on Prof. Stuart Phillips, he is quite the expert on muscle health, dietary protein, sports and excercise and sarcopaenia etc.

S

Sean01

@Sean01 yasss!!! By jiminy you should be a motivational speaker!
Totally understand 'going Yates' in the gym, I think that might be the way forward. That and maybe increasing carbs as this 30g I'm doing at the moment seems to be helping BG control BUT the upshot is I'm losing all my muscle, eek! Can't have that. There's *got* to be a happy medium, gotta be. OK, so new plan is, I'll start embracing Yates' mentality, maybe a bit of Platz, too , but definitely I'll test out upping carbs as I don't think it's good to be losing this amount of muscle, and it's only been since diagnosis, ie, when I dropped carbs right down. Stupidly, I didn't even consider this as a side effect of the diagnosis, yeesh. I need to really get in gear with figuring out nutritionally how to have reasonable carbs without pushing up my BG rating, especially to keep it sustainable.
GREAT ANSWER - just make sure you test before and after each work out - and expect spikes. Excitement about training will up the BG as glycogen converts to glucose and goes from the liver to the blood - also the actual effect of training will also help release more sugar - the trick is to use it up! You will transform from gym rate to lab rat. Test, Test test. Soon you will be like Yoda and be able to tell how much force you have in your body!

Keep in touch

Sean

Last edited by a moderator:

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
GREAT ANSWER - just make sure you test before and after each work out - and expect spikes. Excitement about training will up the BG as glycogen converts to glucose and goes from the liver to the blood - also the actual effect of training will also help release more sugar - the trick is to use it up! You will transform from gym rate to lab rat. Test, Test test. Soon you will be like Yoda and be able to tell how much force you have in your body!

Keep in touch

Sean
Is it sad that I am SO excited about training and testing all these methods out? Haha! I love this learning, I'm getting so many tips and advice that I'm quite literally building a schedule around it all. I'll definitely test and test again.

So last night I actually had a jacket potato with dinner, a first since diagnosis a month ago - I was scared a big carb food would spike my BG. It was a baby spud, 45g of carbs, but I tested 2 hrs after and only a slight spike, the BG was 5.9 (from 5.4 at lunch time). Not too bad. My plan is to do 100g a day for the next week and split it up over the day, with a swing towards post training dinner in the evening, but also eat dinner earlier. Yeesh, I'm turning into a training and food geek! - I *love* it!

I'm good with Yoda-knowledge, just as long as I don't actually start to *look* like Yoda!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
S

Sean01

Have a look at these links which may be of help, wait till you really age I lost 2 inch on calfs over last 40 years fast twitch fibre dies of slowly and replaced with other tissue if not converted to slow twitch fibre.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3940510/
http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/50/6/1324
Research and statistical analysis of results is fair enough/ I'm a science graduate. I understand studies. But they do not imply certainty. 53 - still packing on muscle, still getting stronger. Baring in mind the fact that I can read my body (I've been training for over 40 years) I can confidently say that I have turned back the clock by at least 20 years. Strength wise - I have never ever been stronger - but that's great. The plan is to keep getting stronger. Last week end I competed in my first strongman competition. I did OK. I didn't finish last - I beat three people a lot younger than me and a 57 year old came 4th besting people half his age. He was incredible. No scientific survey or statistical analysis - just a strong desire to keep going forwards. Right now, I can still see myself competing past 60 and training 5-6 days a week until 70 plus. (I have at least half yearly check ups, and I monitor my blood pressure daily.- and at 70 I will not be the oldest person in the gym. -

My calfs are the envy of everybody in the gym. They're still growing too - which is great - my T2 and blood sugar management depends on walking

Sean