Type 2 Taking food to an event

Landmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What do people with diabetes do if they want to go to an event where say doors open at 3pm and the performance start time is 8pm about taking food with them? The event is no food, alcohol or drinks (even water) permitted to be taken in. They maybe provide food for sale and water inside (they do sell alcohol) but due to other medical reasons I may not be able to eat the food on sale. (Very low fat diet, no fried food, no red meat etc). Bags will be searched on entry. I don’t want my sandwiches to be confiscated! Before diabetes a theatre took away jam sandwich’s which I was going to eat after the performance on the way home! Any one have any suggestions please?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s a very long time between doors open and performance. (I’m curious what it is and what sort of venue)

My thoughts are :-

Do you need to arrive that early?
Can you eat very well before and plan food for afterwards instead? Or is it because of medication like insulin?
Is it an absolute you cannot eat the foods on sale (water at least has to be provided if alcohol is on sale) or a preference that could be flexible in unusual circumstances such as this? There is usually something vegan these days which may meet the low fat and not red meat option.

Can you contact them to establish what the rules are and what is for sale and if they can provide you with something documented allowing certain items inside on medical grounds if what’s provided isn’t feasible?
Is there the option of a pass to allow you to exit and return within that 5 hr window and get food elsewhere?

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you contact them to establish what the rules are and what is for sale and if they can provide you with something documented allowing certain items inside on medical grounds if what’s provided isn’t feasible?
Is there the option of a pass to allow you to exit and return within that 5 hr window and get food elsewhere?
I suggest you follow this good advice without delay. Event organisers have to allow for illness or else it's legally discriminatory. Go to the organ-grinder not the monkey. And get everything in writing.

Reactions: Landmartin

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If this is in the UK, remember that Diabetes is a disability so they must make "reasonable adjustments".
I agree with the comments above to contact the venue and make your case.

Reactions: Landmartin

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If this is in the UK, remember that Diabetes is a disability so they must make "reasonable adjustments".
I agree with the comments above to contact the venue and make your case.
Only if the diet requirements are related to diabetes. Other illnesses and conditions don’t necessarily have the disability protection.

Unless things have changed since the posters only other prior post last year, he is a prediabetic not on any diabetes medication so hypo avoidance and regular eating for fixed dose medications etc are not necessary and therefore not reasons to bring food in. Thats not to say the venue won’t agree to it but it won’t be a requirement they do. Many venues will be reasonable for other medical issues when asked. Just get it in writing to show the door staff who won’t believe you otherwise.

Landmartin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies. Type 2 unfortunately now. On twice daily medication but not insulin. The event is the Coronation Concert. Also go annually to Hampton Court Music Festival where timings are usually gates open 5.30 with performances starting at 8pm or 9pm. Very different set up where the taking of a picnic is actively encouraged in the grounds but no food to be brought in where the seats are. People leave their picnic bags outside to collect at the end. Obviously this is an acceptable approach. Comments helpful thank you. I’ll try for a suitable workaround!

Reactions: HSSS

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could just plan it as either an OMAD day or a fasting day. Eg eat plenty of filling food before and know you won't have or need anything more until after.

Reactions: HSSS and Landmartin

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies. Type 2 unfortunately now. On twice daily medication but not insulin. The event is the Coronation Concert. Also go annually to Hampton Court Music Festival where timings are usually gates open 5.30 with performances starting at 8pm or 9pm. Very different set up where the taking of a picnic is actively encouraged in the grounds but no food to be brought in where the seats are. People leave their picnic bags outside to collect at the end. Obviously this is an acceptable approach. Comments helpful thank you. I’ll try for a suitable workaround!
Is it a hypoglycaemic med or just Metformin for example? No issues with not eating for the Metformin for example.

eta for general readership: this is the sort of reason it’s helpful if people fill in their profiles (and keep up to date). It saves a lot of guesswork and asking the same questions over and over.

Reactions: lovinglife

cocobee.2017

A note from your doctor to explain how a diabetic may need a snack or small meal to prevent hypo attack. Surely they will make an exception for that.

Reactions: Bludnok