Taking insulin on holiday

Judy99

Type of diabetes
Carer
Hello - just some advice please.

How do people carry their frio wallets when flying? I think you I are supposed to keep it where air can circulate so I assume that means you can't put it in hand luggage? Also do most airlines allow you a small extra bag in addition to hand luggage for medical supplies?

many thanks!

D

Deleted Account

I put my insulin in my hand luggage where it has always been fine (I have flown over 100 times with insulin).
I never carry a separate bag for medical supplies. This is as much about finding it easier to get around with one bag than two and not taking that much stuff (even when I travel with hand luggage only).
I have read that some airlines allow extra hand luggage as you say but it may be worth checking with your airline as they probably differ.

I never put any of my diabetes kit in the hold. Insulin could get too cold and stop working. But the main reason for me is that my luggage has gone awol a few times and I would hate to be without my supplies for an unknown time.

One thing to consider with Frio pouches: I never "charge" mine until I reach my destination. The reason for this is I have heard some security are nervous about the gel in the pouches when water is added to the crystals.
Provided you keep your insulin out of direct heat, it is not damaged for 24 hours at room temperature.

Finally, I recommend taking a letter from your doctor. In nearly 15 years of travel with diabetes, I have only had to show mine once. However, that doesn't mean it will be requested again and I wouldn't want to lose my insulin or not be able to fly.

Reactions: Lorraine deer

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I only travel within the EU.
I have 2 lots of insulin one goes in my wifes hand luggage and one in mine.
I just put them both together to get through security and have a copy of my prescription to hand.

Good luck

Tony

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have traveled far and wide. Always put my diabetes supplies in my hand luggage never in the hold. As @helensaramay has said the hold gets cold and can damage the insulin and with hand luggage you know where it is and shouldn't get lost. I carry my prescription with me as well