Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi
Type 1 50 years coeliac for 15.......

I went into the school kitchen not 5 minutes ago with levels at 5.4 with no rapid insulin on board.....happy days...

There were several trays of home made biscuits winking at me and the smell was divine.
The desire was soooo strong but i spotted a tray of raw carrots and went for those instead.

I am munching the carrot as i type with no concern for insulin nor the fact the biscuits were not gluten free.

i congratulate myself and yet......................

Tony

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ha ha you went for the carrot !!! The headline grabbed my attention Tony, would never of thought it was all about a carrot !!!

• Funny
Reactions: Antje77 and Tony337

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
If i had of eaten said biscuit i would have ended up with bad guts and i would have had to take some insulin......

I've had a butty an hour ago and 3 units of novorapid and currently showing 6.1 on my phone.

Where would i be had i had that biscuit i wonder .....i probably wouldn't have had the butty as my guts would have been bad...

The point of this wistful and trivial post is the thought process of us diabetics.....and what would have rattled through my brain if i wasn't a diabetic at all??

Tony

Reactions: Antje77

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Completely agree, it's not as simple as eat and go, it's decide, evaluate, compute and execute, in some respects that's why I stick to low carb as I cannot do the extra maths for exogenous influences, so less room for error on that basis and keep it simple.

Then again sometimes it's driven by pure gut !!

• Agree
Reactions: Tony337 and Antje77

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Completely agree, it's not as simple as eat and go,
From the diabetic side - It will be (relatively soon)

We already have HCL in rollout, the pharmaceutical industry is throwing a lot of work at FCL, and based on my own DIY (eat and go - with minor reservations like need to tell my loop about pizza and fish and chips) I'm already there - not bolused for 3 months now.

After 50 years of calculating everything - I can see how much it will change in the next 10 for all of us - just a waiting game to get it approved and roll the tech out

Reactions: Tony337

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
From the diabetic side - It will be (relatively soon)

We already have HCL in rollout, the pharmaceutical industry is throwing a lot of work at FCL, and based on my own DIY (eat and go - with minor reservations like need to tell my loop about pizza and fish and chips) I'm already there - not bolused for 3 months now.

After 50 years of calculating everything - I can see how much it will change in the next 10 for all of us - just a waiting game to get it approved and roll the tech out
I fear none of this will work well for those of us who need to prebolus by up to an hour.
Any closed loop system will give insulin only after the rise has started.

Absolutely amazing for those who do well on it though!

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I fear none of this will work well for those of us who need to prebolus by up to an hour.
Any closed loop system will give insulin only after the rise has started.

Absolutely amazing for those who do well on it though!
I agree wholeheartedly......
I too am not convinced with the closed loop ....

My neighbour and i have almost 100 years of experience between us and we both achieve great results.
However the way we get there is so different from each other its hard to see how the closed loop would work.

As @Antje77 says i too am delighted for those it works for but i'm just not convinced.

Happy Friday

Tony

Reactions: Antje77

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
Key to it is ultrafast insulin (Fiasp or preferably Lyumjev) which can take some getting used to - Novorapid etc are not quick enough to do the job.

The other important bit is ensuring no insulin resistance from over used canula sites and good site rotation.

We are not at a stage yet where it will work for everyone, that will take some time and some technology to get us there - it is very technical to set up, I think there may be a solution where Nightscout data is scanned for patterns to help with config settings to make it easier to get working, but that's away in the future.

You have to accept that any postprandial bolusing will always result in more time at high BG, but yesterday for me was 97% TIR, 3% above (highest BG was 10.7) which shows it can be a solution to 'no input' diabetes - but not perfect yet, we are still at the start of that journey - but its coming

I'm looking forward to faster insulins and GLP-1 (which slows down digestion in the body) which could be an answer to easier control for my 'extreme pig out' days, and make it more suitable for more people in the population.

Reactions: Tony337 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Key to it is ultrafast insulin (Fiasp or preferably Lyumjev) which can take some getting used to
I've been on Fiasp for years and still need to prebolus by at least half an hour even for low carb meals. I also have a box of Lyumjev pens in my fridge, of which I've used two so far. Seems slightly faster than Fiasp for me, but not so much so that I want to switch.
You have to accept that any postprandial bolusing will always result in more time at high BG, but yesterday for me was 97% TIR, 3% above (highest BG was 10.7)
Should I ever experience diabetic burnout, this may be helpful, even for me. But as long as I don't, I'd get very nervous every time I went over 8, and having to wait for it to come down again.