Talk to me about your smart watch

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - I have had a Libre for several years, initially self funded but now on the NHS. My prescription is being moved to Libre 2 and as I know it transmits rather than needing a scan, I was hoping if I got an Apple Watch I would be able to just look down and see my levels whenever I wanted.

I don’t currently have a smart watch and never have, but from what I can tell not all apps on the phone can go on the watch, and the Libre app doesn’t have a watch version? So I think in order to do this I’d need a third party app of some kind?

Can anyone tell me simply how they are currently viewing their BG on a smart watch with Libre 2? I have iPhone X if that’s relevant. Thank you!

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you are to use Libre2 as designed, you still need to scan. The Bluetooth transmission is only for the alerts.
That said, there are apps such as xDrip which can hi-jack the Bluetooth signal and display the current value.
It is possible to connect this to a watch but, I believe you still need a phone nearby.

I have an Android phone so not much help with Apple technology.

However, if you are not technically minded, setting it up can be challenging as these apps are written by techies for techies and, where there are instructions, they are sparse.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for taking the time to respond - I will look into xDrip, I like to think I’m technically minded but I’ll have to see how technical that is!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I use a watch but independently from the app used to read my Libre 2 like a CGM.

I use a dedicated "Watlaa one" watch designed souly for reading an update my BG. As a stand alone.
The only other fuction it has is pretty. Much a timepiece. I still wear a Bluetooth bridge (Bubble mini.) to scan & send to the watch. Which is the only way dispite updating the firmware on this particular watch for Libre 2 for it to work.
To my mind it has a pretty impressive battery life too.

The BT signal from the actual sensor is paired with my Android phone..

Apple products?? I could tag in @searley he may know regarding the watch.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jaylee - so I think if I’ve understood correctly you have 2 additional bits of kit, the bubble mini and the watch, but these don’t actually talk to your phone at all it’s all done independently. That’s interesting to know I wasn’t aware that was an option

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Jaylee - so I think if I’ve understood correctly you have 2 additional bits of kit, the bubble mini and the watch, but these don’t actually talk to your phone at all it’s all done independently. That’s interesting to know I wasn’t aware that was an option

That is correct.
Initially, I had the Libre 1 scanned by the bridge, sent to the watch & the watch to the phone.
Or if I wasn't using the watch.? Tether the bridge to the phone.

Unfortunaly, Abbott's Libre 2 has some new quirky algorithm.
I had to set up new firmware on my watch to tether a bridge device that could handle the L2 algorithm in order to continue using it. But it works flawlessly as a stand alone watch. Technically I no longer need my phone.
The watch will discreetly vibrate any alarms..
Having said that. In my experience the Libre 2 is reasonably on the ball for me. Pretty much without fail letting me know I'm low 5to10 minutes before I feel it.. Handy curtailing with a preempted treatment anything too agressive or overwhelming happening on the hypo front.

There have since been other watches on the market that will do the same stand alone function similar to mine.

Others need tethering as a "wearable" to a phone..?

I'm hoping there will be Apple Watch users that can come along & help you on that front.?

Gilly007

AB, there is also a great app called Diabox that links directly to Libre 2 it updates automatically every 5 mins to your phone and smartwatch.

Great thing is it lasts for 14 days 10hrs so you don't have the 1 hour down time when starting a new sensor. Simply keep using the old sensor until new one is ready. You can also keep using the Abbott App as well.

Easy set up, Good Luck.

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be interesting to find out if anyone gets a successful ending to this watch connection option without excessive coding involved. I use a Libre 2, Android Huwae phone and have had many smart watches. It would be great to view my levels on a watch !

Lisa69free

I have been using Diabox and getting CGM like data on my phone and smart watch without needing to scan. Of course I still need to scan every 8 hours for the Libre app. I'm using Android phone, no need for a bubble while using UK version of libre 2. Diabox can share data with wear os smart watches and a couple of other ones. I use a Garmin Forerunner 245 watch and I've used on a Samsung active watch

nicki92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Libre 2 and would love to have the values shown on my Apple watch! Is Diabox an available app for iPhone/Apple watch? I couldn't find it with a quick search in the app store

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in a similar situation and recently purchased a Fitbit Sense which has many other body monitors however running on its own software platform and doesn't work with many external apps.

Lisa69free

I have the Libre 2 and would love to have the values shown on my Apple watch! Is Diabox an available app for iPhone/Apple watch? I couldn't find it with a quick search in the app store
Unfortunately Diabox has lost the license for Apple

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to everyone who has responded - it sounds like Diabox would have been a great option if it becomes available on Apple again.

I have started doing some reading around xDrip but if anyone else has any Apple friendly easy set ups please let me know!

Dustydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My I-phone watch always notifies me of both high and low glucose and he excellent thing is that there is not any noise just a vibration. I hope this helps

Lakeslover

I use xdrip on an Apple Watch 3. If you search for the Facebook site it tells you how to get this app (it’s not in the apple store). If you follow the instructions it is easy. It does work through your phone, so that has to be near.

I have just purchased a blucon night rider which should work directly with the Apple Watch, but I haven’t tried it yet.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use xdrip on an Apple Watch 3. If you search for the Facebook site it tells you how to get this app (it’s not in the apple store). If you follow the instructions it is easy. It does work through your phone, so that has to be near.

I have just purchased a blucon night rider which should work directly with the Apple Watch, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Thanks Lakeslover - does the watch show the arrow and graph as well as the number on the watch face? Does it pick up the values by itself or require a scan/separate transmitter like bubble to get the figures?

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My I-phone watch always notifies me of both high and low glucose and he excellent thing is that there is not any noise just a vibration. I hope this helps

Hi Dustydog would you mind elaborating on which app you are using?

Lakeslover

5CF495B8-FCC1-460C-90D7-DD55DC582CFF.jpeg
7135DDDA-7B7D-4166-98AA-A131E156323F.jpeg
Thanks Lakeslover - does the watch show the arrow and graph as well as the number on the watch face? Does it pick up the values by itself or require a scan/separate transmitter like bubble to get the figures?
Using xdrip the phone is updated automatically by Bluetooth, then this is passed to an app on the watch. You can either just show the value as a number at the bottom under the time, or as a big number with arrow.

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 52170 View attachment 52171
Using xdrip the phone is updated automatically by Bluetooth, then this is passed to an app on the watch. You can either just show the value as a number at the bottom under the time, or as a big number with arrow.

Thanks so much for posting the pictures of what it looks like, that is immensely helpful! Really appreciate you taking the time (pun not intended!)

Reactions: Lakeslover

MPH 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all - I have had a Libre for several years, initially self funded but now on the NHS. My prescription is being moved to Libre 2 and as I know it transmits rather than needing a scan, I was hoping if I got an Apple Watch I would be able to just look down and see my levels whenever I wanted.

I don’t currently have a smart watch and never have, but from what I can tell not all apps on the phone can go on the watch, and the Libre app doesn’t have a watch version? So I think in order to do this I’d need a third party app of some kind?

Can anyone tell me simply how they are currently viewing their BG on a smart watch with Libre 2? I have iPhone X if that’s relevant. Thank you!
I have been using Diabox and getting CGM like data on my phone and smart watch without needing to scan. Of course I still need to scan every 8 hours for the Libre app. I'm using Android phone, no need for a bubble while using UK version of libre 2. Diabox can share data with wear os smart watches and a couple of other ones. I use a Garmin Forerunner 245 watch and I've used on a Samsung active watch

I'm using diabox on Android phone with libre2 transmitting to forerunner watch. I don't always have my phone with me so I've been researching watches that can host diabox as a standalone app without needing a phone to collect the Bluetooth data from the sensor. I've purchased a Watlaa watch, and am going to attempt to set it up with diabox.