Tattoo care

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like it. 4 and half hours and man it was itchy as hell as it was healing.

N

NicolaB70

image.jpeg @mahola am I right in thinking your avatar picture is another one of yours?
Loving the skull on your leg. Here's a pic of one of my hubby's tattoos,

N

NicolaB70

Love the yellow! Mine are all black and grey. Yep, the eye is on my right arm.
The eye almost looks real until you zoom in. My hubby has another one of the same zombie skeleton but different design on his other arm which is more colourful, I haven't got a photo of that though.

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

This is the last tattoo I had done in October
bc9b4c0abbb28f058acb46a946b965db.jpg
and this is my sons last tattoo 6 hours and more booked for Saturday to finish it off
5eca4756a00f482d699bb310e6c505e9.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

Medusa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow guys - love all the tatts! I have 7 and 3 were done after diagnosis. @Emily101 - mine all healed fairly quickly - just a tad itchy as others have said. Wow @mahola - they are fab - how many tatts do u have? I want more now!

Manicman68

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

I'm type 1 diabetic and am thinking of getting my first tattoo- it will be on my arm.

Just looking for some advice about the whole process and caring for it? Would anyone warn against them?

Thanks!
Emily
All my ink has arrived in the last couple of years. Everyone present has given the best advice there is.
To aid healing though use Bepanthen cream 3 times a day. Locks the ink in a treat!

Reactions: 2 people

Jadey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Emily, I have recently just got a few more tattoos added to my body and they have both healed nicely because I have managed to keep my sugars under control. A few times my sugars had risen and the tattoos weren't looking too good but back to being normal again and all is well. Plenty of Bepanthen too! I have had loads of tattoos done pre Diabetes and would love more on my legs but I've been told not to tattoo my bottom half so I'm looking to add more on my top half. hope this helped. X

Emily101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Emily, I have recently just got a few more tattoos added to my body and they have both healed nicely because I have managed to keep my sugars under control. A few times my sugars had risen and the tattoos weren't looking too good but back to being normal again and all is well. Plenty of Bepanthen too! I have had loads of tattoos done pre Diabetes and would love more on my legs but I've been told not to tattoo my bottom half so I'm looking to add more on my top half. hope this helped. X
It does thank you, I'm going to get it on my back now. :) What happened when your sugars were high? xx

rstonepal

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetic Educators, people who do not listen, people who do not actively try to make their situation better, people who think I am in their textbook, people who think I am a standard T1D.
I am a neo natal and have had T1D for 51 years. I got my first tat on the inside of my wrist when my daughter was born. It says one word in black cursive, Diabetic. My artist was nervous that medical people would think it was a joke and he added a red medical symbol on the top of it. I was 33 and still a boss so I had it put there so I could hide it with my watch. It healed within 1 week with no problems. I am almost 52 and it has not faded to green. When I turned 40 I figured I had nothing to lose and started my art hunt.

I have a pink skull and crossbones on my right shoulder, Anubis on my Sternum, Isis on my right hip, Horus on my left hip, a sitting winged Isis spanning my lower back, Hieroglyphics honoring my husband on my left shoulder and the symbol of the Victorious Pharaoh around my LOWER ankle, oh yes, right around the stupid ankle bone. That one hurt the worst by far because it is on a thin skin/bone area.

The largest ones are Isis and Anubis. We lived in Las Vegas at the time and the heat was unbearable, it was mostly in the summer I would get them. You need to pay attention to sweat as it burns something crazy. I kept mine covered with Tat Wax and a piece of saran wrap to keep it moist. I never had one dry out or crack and all my color, including Anubis' black, is still the color I wanted. I have not faded nor has my color leached at all. I actually won a radio contest for my Isis.

Getting the tat is annoying more than anything else. It feels like a bug doing something you do not want it to. Isis took 3 solid hours of being under the gun. In those instances, as soon as your artist lifts up the gun, your skin is happy and the pain subsides instantly with that nerve healing shock feeling. By the time you get home there is absolutely no pain, at least you should not still have pain. If you do, your artist probably did a bad job and you need to keep an eye on your art for infection.

As I said, I am almost 52. I want one more tat and I want the tat on my ankle done as I wanted it in the first place. I did not have a fit when he finished it, I just wanted it to be finished. He did a traditional piece, not an artistic colorful piece. The outline is beautiful, it is mostly feathers, he only put purple and blue on the tips of the feathers. I want the feathers fully colored, just like on my Isis.

Emily101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am a neo natal and have had T1D for 51 years. I got my first tat on the inside of my wrist when my daughter was born. It says one word in black cursive, Diabetic. My artist was nervous that medical people would think it was a joke and he added a red medical symbol on the top of it. I was 33 and still a boss so I had it put there so I could hide it with my watch. It healed within 1 week with no problems. I am almost 52 and it has not faded to green. When I turned 40 I figured I had nothing to lose and started my art hunt.

I have a pink skull and crossbones on my right shoulder, Anubis on my Sternum, Isis on my right hip, Horus on my left hip, a sitting winged Isis spanning my lower back, Hieroglyphics honoring my husband on my left shoulder and the symbol of the Victorious Pharaoh around my LOWER ankle, oh yes, right around the stupid ankle bone. That one hurt the worst by far because it is on a thin skin/bone area.

The largest ones are Isis and Anubis. We lived in Las Vegas at the time and the heat was unbearable, it was mostly in the summer I would get them. You need to pay attention to sweat as it burns something crazy. I kept mine covered with Tat Wax and a piece of saran wrap to keep it moist. I never had one dry out or crack and all my color, including Anubis' black, is still the color I wanted. I have not faded nor has my color leached at all. I actually won a radio contest for my Isis.

Getting the tat is annoying more than anything else. It feels like a bug doing something you do not want it to. Isis took 3 solid hours of being under the gun. In those instances, as soon as your artist lifts up the gun, your skin is happy and the pain subsides instantly with that nerve healing shock feeling. By the time you get home there is absolutely no pain, at least you should not still have pain. If you do, your artist probably did a bad job and you need to keep an eye on your art for infection.

As I said, I am almost 52. I want one more tat and I want the tat on my ankle done as I wanted it in the first place. I did not have a fit when he finished it, I just wanted it to be finished. He did a traditional piece, not an artistic colorful piece. The outline is beautiful, it is mostly feathers, he only put purple and blue on the tips of the feathers. I want the feathers fully colored, just like on my Isis.
This sounds fantastic. Mine will have colours! :) Thank you!

caarlyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I got my tattoo in January, all went well except about a week or so longer healing than my sister (non-diabetic, got a tattoo the same day), and mine got slightly infected after very tedious and thorough care.. although that could've been location based as well - it's on my ribs, was very hard to keep out of the water in the shower :3

Emily101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got my tattoo in January, all went well except about a week or so longer healing than my sister (non-diabetic, got a tattoo the same day), and mine got slightly infected after very tedious and thorough care.. although that could've been location based as well - it's on my ribs, was very hard to keep out of the water in the shower :3
So you're not meant to get it wet? :/ Mine will be on my back! xD

caarlyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
So you're not meant to get it wet? :/ Mine will be on my back! xD

I was told to keep it out of the water (aside from direct cleaning) until the scab comes off and it's healed. My tattoo is the size of the bottom of a water bottle (give or take), and took about 3 weeks to heal with the help of a topical cream to get rid of the infection - after I applied that, it healed super fast.

I hope you've got a friend or someone to help you take care of it if it's on your back - you might not be able to reach! ;)

Emily101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was told to keep it out of the water (aside from direct cleaning) until the scab comes off and it's healed. My tattoo is the size of the bottom of a water bottle (give or take), and took about 3 weeks to heal with the help of a topical cream to get rid of the infection - after I applied that, it healed super fast.

I hope you've got a friend or someone to help you take care of it if it's on your back - you might not be able to reach! ;)
Oh perfect xD Yes, my housemate will be helping :p