Teaching with Diabetes

HoochTibbs

Hello everyone!

First time post so please be gentle if I ramble on! :shock:

My girlfriend (24) was diagnosed with Type-1 diabetes in February this year. She's in her second year of being a fully qualified teacher at a secondary school. I work in the same school so I see her at various times throughout the day as well as before and after work.

After the initial diagnosis in February the school were very accomodating in allowing her some time off and some space. However lately she is getting so bogged down in work demands that I see no difference between her workload pre and post diagnosis. I get the impression the school have simply forgotten or have assumed she is "better" due to lack of knowledge about the illness.

My girlfriend is very proud and it is important for her not to let people see her 'struggling' :shh: due to her Type1 diabetes. This contributes to peoples perceptions that she is alright even when she is not.

I'm just wondering if there is something fixed that we are able to get put into place, that isn't dictated by perception of wellness or as a courtesy by the school that they can take back when it gets busy? I've heard about occupational therapists and was wonderig if anyone knew if that was the way to go and how you would go about making contact?

Thanks Thanks :thumbup:

Craig (concerned diab-oyfriend)

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
Hi Craig,

It probably is just the case that in a busy work environment the staff / Headteacher have just forgotton about your girlfriend's condition especially if she seems to be managing on the surface. I would mention it to her line manager first and perhaps request a referal to the local Occupational Health service. It is their job to ensure that the school / employers have done as much as they can to help. Occupational Health can do an assessment (not in all cases) and then make suggestions as to how her working conditions could be improved. If she / you feel that no one is listening you could always ask advice from one of the teaching unions as I am sure that this is not an uncommon problem.
Working in a school myself I would first try the dialogue route with her line manager / head and see where to go from there. :D

Hope all goes well.

Truffle

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Someone who knows it all.
I forgot to add the the local Occupational Health service is listed under your local council. :D

HoochTibbs

Thank you for the response Truffle.

Your advice makes sense and sounds like the most sensible and useful route to take. :thumbup:

Thanks Thanks

Craig

glensmart

please note I do not understand diabetes. but have two friends with diabetes.
I thorght that I might have diabetes some time ago. as I use to work in a diy store, as an department manager and I was sent to lots of other stores to help out and in my own store there was a lot of other staff playing planks and pushing other staff out and playing jokes and planks with stock and orders and jibes and disabaying your job and moving MLPS AND PRICE BAYS. as a joke and this went on for about 8 years and someone said we were told to do it.
MY HAIR use to be dull and skin and a yelow mouth and eyes were very dull as well and the more that the bullying went on - I use to eat the wrong foods and think what they are going to done next.