Teenager in Denial

kathyd55

Hi
My name is kathy and I live in N.Ireland. My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 in 2000 a year before we left S.Africa and returned to the UK. She was 5 years old. Her Diabetes controll was good up untill about 2 years ago.
In that period since 12 years old she has gone into Denial and her controll has been terrible .
She wants to do this herself and I let her but if I do not remind her she will forget.
Last year we had 5 episodes of ketoacidoscis in Hospital .All because she lied to me that she had done her injections and then got sick throughout the night.
She lies constantly about her levels and tells me that she does not care.I know what is ahead. I lecture in Health Studies in a college and actually teach a unit in Diabetes and that is what makes it worse.
I feel that my daughter is killing herslf and I just do not know how to get it stoped.
I have tried every approach going and nothing seems to work .
Last week i spoke to the Diabetic nurse and asked if she could see a psychologist. That is really my last hope .
Just three weeks ago the endocrinologist told us that there is albumin in her urine indicative of future kidney damage. I thought that it would shock her into taking better controll ,it lasted about 2 days and then back to old ways.
It is very difficult to stand back and watch what she is doing and sometimes I just have my head in my hands crying.
She has so much going for her ..N.Ireland trampoling team,great at sport etc and I can see it all disappearing.None of that is important to me if she just tryed to keep things under controll.
I feel that at this stage there is nothing esle I can try. She tells me that it is just too hard to keep her levels down.
She has also started to eat alot at night and it seems that when her levels go below 10 she is straving. i was wondering if there was anything that would surpress her appetite. it seems that sometimes she just cannot stop eating and when we check her levels they are not low ..as i say just under 10. My daughter is a very fashion conscious and pretty girl who has now started to put on weight as when she eats alot she has to do units and it is a viscious circle. her weight is ok now but it is going on fast and i can see other eating problems coming as the situation gets worse.

I honestly feel like I am in a bit of a spirral and I just cannot controll it any more .It is heart breaking to watch it really is .
This is the first time I have reached out for help but i guess that i have come to the stage where i just do not know what to do anymore

Kathy

Tracey167

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kathy, I just read your message and it must be so hard on you, i was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when i was 13 and i did go through a stage where i wanted to be like everyone else go clubbing and have a good drink with my friends of a weekend and just eat anything. If you want try and see if your daughter would eat Special K (oats and honey) i have that of an evening even though it sounds ha if it has loads of sugar in it it does'nt plus it fills you up i was told by a dietcian that special K digests slowly so will fill you up for longer. i always have a bowl of cereal of a night to get me through the night its not to heavy.
Good luck i do hope she does realize soon.
Tracey

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Kathy,
I too live in N. Ireland and i have a T1, 11 yr old son, who was diagnosed when he was 7yrs old. My heart really goes out to you and i can only imagine the frustration and worry you are experiencing. I think getting her to see a phychologist is a step in the right direction and i wish you all the luck in the world. I'm sorry i can't think of anything else for you to try, that you haven't already done, sending plenty of comforting (((hugs))) Mums need them too,
Good luck and take care,
Suzi x

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kathy,
Sadly there are a lot of young women who withhold insulin as your daughter does. One hospital in the US found that one in 3 women with type 1 had done it at some time in their lives.
Is she in denial ie not wanting to have diabetes and therefore not taking her injections as a way of making it go away or is it possible that she is eating at a time when she has not taken insulin in the knowledge that this is a way to eat and reduce/ not put on weight?
I've read of several young people who have got throught the problem of denial by themselves There was a young woman on this forum the other day who had done just that. One thing that helped was that her mother bought the book 'Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults: How to Become an Expert on Your Own Diabetes' http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11870

Perhaps she might find it useful to have a better knowledge on how to adjust her insulin so that she can eat when and to a large extent what she wants.
Books such as Think like a Pancreas (Gary Scheiner) or Using Insulin (John Walsh) are excellent and could be worth investing in.

If would be good if you could get help from a psychologist. It's really hard for parent to stand back and it's all too common for relationships between parents and teenagers to become frayed even without diabetes.
There aren't many sources of help that I've found, most information on the internet comes from people who have had (and overcome) diabulimia, I can give you some links if you would like them

Debloubed

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
When people say 'Pacific' instead of 'Specific' :-)
I was diagnosed as a teenager and believe me, it's hard work! I didn't go into denial as such but I did hate every minute of it so I can relate to your daughters story however - the facts and figures in the other posts are true and the best advice I can give is for you to ask your daughter to come on this site perhaps? I used to feel I was the only type 1 on the planet, I didn't know anyone else with it and I felt very alone - do you think she feels the same? it can make you feel quite isolated, perhaps your local diabetes team could help her meet up with others with similar 'issues' who are of a similar age group?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Kathy, as you know,Teenagers can be awfully stubborn. Not taking insulin is often used as a tactic for stayng slim.
I've never been in your place, so can't write from experience, But I was a teacher and have encountered the species .
Most of all teenagers like to belong.
It might suit your daughter to join one of the groups for kids that Diabetes UK runs. At least there'd be others like her. and they organise trips and holidays.
Look on the Diabetes UK .org website. Let her look and see if there's anything that appeals. You might find a support group there too.
I don't agree with DUK's dietary advice, but the support services are excellent
I wish you all that's good.
I survived a normal healthy teenaged daughter and that was bad enough
Hana

lisa41

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there. Sorry to hear the troble you're having. Feel for you and also sympathise with your daughter. And agree that asking for help is a big thing but just knowing there are other people out here may help you. And as one other post said BIG hugs for mum!! And maybe letting her look on here would help her to know she's not alone