Teeth falling out related to type 2 diabetes?

Ruth3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I would get into trouble if I told you, but I am a red. I support dogs donkeys birds Palestine and Rspca.
If you look at my wailing over going blind you will see I have perpetual root abscesses in my teeth. I have a collagen disease that gives me dry mucous membranes this means my teeth are constantly in need of repair. Diabetes seems to be another auto immune disease so there could be a link. Also all my hair and finger nails fall out if I don't drink lactose free milk and take calcium tablets. I think in some way it may also effect teeth, your dentist will help you. 8)

LittleWolf

I've had a root abscess for 2 years and been trying to get the affected tooth sorted but the dentist kept charging me for needless x rays and antibiotics or for just looking. I knew I need a root canal already! He kept 'forgetting' to refer me for one but I have a HC1 certificate now and will go to a different dentist and ask them to do it.

Are you able to afford dental treatment? Hope you get those abscesses sorted promptly instead of being left to fester. It has to do with diabetes as far as I know diabetics being more susceptible to infection and gum disease.

I use 5000mg fluoride toothpaste and 2 kinds of high fluoride mouthwash. Rinse after everything you put in your mouth x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
I am a dental nurse and also have a 9year old with type 1.diabetes can cause gum and tooth problems because of the high sugar content that can be in your saliva,brushing teeth makes no difference if you have high sugar in your mouth most of the time as decay I'd down to the acids produced by the bacteria living in the plaque caused by sugar ,ask your dentist about high fluoride toothpaste and he can also paint a varnish on and seal your fissures ,take extra care to brush your gum line and have regular scales if needed,more patients lose their teeth due to gum related problems than decay .and if you keep having abscess the nerve is dead and need a immediate root treatment or extraction ,depending on the remaining tooth structure

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Why does your dentist need to refer you for a root canal ?you don't need anymore X-rays to confirm this and anti biotics only solve the problem tempory,it will keep coming back till sorted you should only be charged 49pound as this is a band 2 treatment and all X-rays are exams fillings and route treatments are meant to be included in this price band

LittleWolf

My dentist doesn't pay attention to bands of treatment, he just charges me for every individual visit. He said he won't do the root canal but will refer me to a dentist in Acton. He told me not to go elsewhere or they will just pull the tooth. Every time I went back he said 'oh yes, I'm going to refer you now' like this waste first time it was discussed or tries to sell me whitening kits or rants about his ex wife. Hasnt ever even given me a scale and polish, I thought that was standard. Got charged for coming down just to remind him of the referral 3 freaking times.

I'm a student with Aspergers Syndrome. Maybe a little naive and clueless on getting treatment myself. nearly £60 on reminders and £40 on antibiotics. Most of the time I drained the abscess and just gargles with antiseptic and hydrogen peroxide because I really didn't feel like going on another round of antibiotics (they make me very ill)

I hate talking to receptionists... Going to call Acton and ask if he even made the referral then book myself in. I pointed out the original cavity to this guy when I was under 18 and he said there was nothing there and its All in my head repeatedly, It's like he deliberately waited until I no longer had free NHS treatment.

Shell1

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
You will always be entitled to your treatment at a nhs cost and the bands have been made law unless your at a private dentist ?draining it can elevate symptoms but you should really have some antibiotics there is different types to try if the other ones make you ill .i would not waste anymore time with this dentist phone around your local area and see if they taking on new patients ,but also if you pay for any treatment then if you go back within 2months the treatment is then called a continuation and is free

latelucylou

Type of diabetes
Type 2
As i come from a family of diabetics, i can tell you yes your teeth get effect from it.
I personally dont have a problem, but i had my teeth removed over 13 years ago, but my mother, father, siblings and extended family all seem to have problems.
One brother complained that when he has problems it seems to take ages for the pain to stop after treatment.
Get checked out and go regular to the dentist and talk to your diabetic health team they have give great advice.
Good luck. :D

LittleWolf

Thank you for you wisdom and letting me know what's what so I won't be messed around again.

It is a practise that offers both private and NHS treatment but it might be a different story at a dedicated NHS practise. I am in the only council house in an affluent area so they are used to mostly selling expensive cosmetic treatment.

Wish everyone the best of luck in keeping their mouths in shape. It's one of the best things you can invest time and care in. Oral health affects your daily life and the rest of your health so much.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hate testing so much each day.
I have type 2 since 1987, I lost all my teeth after 5 years and was told that it was e diabetes I am insulin controlled with metaformin tablets. Margaret Lynn

Tom_09

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
When you have diabetes, high blood sugar can take a toll on your entire body including your teeth and gums. Your mouth naturally contains many types of bacteria. When starches and sugars in food interact with these bacteria, plaque forms on your teeth. The acids in plaque attack the hard, outer surface of your teeth. This can lead to cavities.
dentist Manhattan Beach