Telling dvla about diabetes

claire_786

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So I passed my driving over a year ago and just started thinking about driving as my husband are i doing different shifts and he is sick of picking and dropping me to work, so I think the main thing they are worried about is hypos and I've been diabetic for 6 years now and I never passed out cause of a hypo or called a ambulance, and my hypo aware is very good so will they let me have my license and what do I need to do and is there anything else which can revoke my license and how long does it take for them to give me me licence back.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
@claire_786, there is nothing stopping you from upgrading your license. Just go and get the appropriate forms from the post office (or I think they are also available online), fill them in and send them off.

You'll need a medical sign off from your GP/Consultant and you'll have to renew every three years.

The only way you'll find you license revoked due to diabetes is if you experience an accident that is hypo related, or if you have multiple severe hypos requiring assistance, which the DVLA needs to be told about.

Otherwise, get filling in the forms and get driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk