Temporary Neuropathy

JonBoy

I've maxed out on tablets and was put on insultard 20 units a day. Last night was my first injection. I'm used to having blood sugars in the 20's, but this has dropped them to the teens. This morning fasting was over 10 lower.

My problem is I have had a neuropathy response to the masive drop in sugar levels. I have the feeling of electric running through the muscles in the my legs and arms. I've also become super hyper sensitive and can barely stand anything touching my skin.

Spoke to Diabetes care nurse and was told it is rare and effects about 1 in 1000. She's not too sure on it as she only ever seen one other person get it.

Has anyone else experienced this after a dramatic drop in blood sugar? If so then how long did it last for you, before your body adapted and the nerve pain eased off?

ClaireG 06

I've not started insulin yet, starting Monday. I was told about this by my DN though and she said it is one of the reasons why they start you on a low dose and then increase it. Prehaps you could talk to your DN about lowering your dose until your body is more used to the insulin and so you don't get the problems of big drops in bg levels.

JonBoy

I spoke to her this afternoon and she's lowered my dose to 10 units to see if it eases of the pain. Hope you get on okay starting on monday :)

Westie58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there
Interested to see this I was diagnosed four months ago with bs of 35!-now down to 5/7 and on 20 units a day one injection-started at 10
I also am experiencing this problem with pain in my feet legs and thighs-varies from electric like shocks especially in the feet burning/tingling and like you very sensistive to touch-its a nightmare-on lyrica which helps a bit-interested to know if your syptoms have improved now?-Aalso anyone else got this problem
All the best