Rubyroo44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,
It took over four years for me to get my HBA1c low enough to try for a baby and then to get successfully pregnant and stay that way!
My son is now 20 months old.
Am really struggling to manage being a mum and lowering my HBA1c. Am also still breastfeeding at night which plays havoc with my levels. I dont want to stop until he is ready (another long story).
I am 36 and terrified. Am terrified of it taking so long again that I miss the boat. Have been bombarded with negative stuff from previous hospital and basically told not to bother getting pregnant past 35 as risk is too high for T1 diabetics I dont think this helps my current motivation with HBA1C ☹️☹️
Can anyone please give me any advice or reassurance?
Thank you so much in advance.

kitty55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spiders
Don't be terrified. I think if you are older than 35 you are considered a high risk pregnancy anyway. I think it's rubbish. I had my first with almost 39 after 3 rounds of IVF. He's 17 months now and we're planning going abroad to cycle again in a few months. I'm 40 now.
Would you have the possibility to get a libre? It makes controlling your levels SO much easier and was (and still is) a godsend for me. To lower your HbA1C you can only check, check and check. And believe me I think I wouldn't manage as easily as I do now without the libre.
Sorry, don't have much advice other than ignore what your hospital has said, try and get your Hba1C down safely and get trying for another as soon as you are ready. And big well done for breastfeeding that long (I only managed 3.5 months and was most upset). Good luck! xx

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is your HBA1C now? I accepted that mine would be higher pre-conception for my second than my first baby because I wanted to avoid hypo + toddler combinations!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi. I get the anxiety following a medicalised 'high risk' pregnancy but how would you feel if you didn't try at least? If you do want a second then it makes sense to try and get as well as possible and I doubt you would easily conceive if you are still breastfeeding so if that stops maybe your levels will level out too! I know 2 diabetic women who decided to stick at one child for similar reasons but I do think its your decision and if it is what you want then go for it! You have learnt a lot from the first 'rodeo' and it may all go more smoothly this time. I had my 3rd at nearly 37 and having 3 was tough but as someone else has pointed out the tech is getting better and better and the libre and/or pump could make life easier.