Terrified

*madcatlady*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went to the optician last Friday because I had flashing lights in my eyes and a shadow that keeps coming and going and she said I have a bleed in my eye.

She referred urgently to ophthalmologist and I have an appointment next Monday.

Going blind is my worst nightmare, this is especially bad because it is in my good eye. I have a condition called keratakonus which means the vision in my left eye isn't 100% although still safe for driving. (interestingly I read somewhere that a lot of people with keratakonus have diabetes so a genetic link there)

I've been an utter mess, crying and shaking and throwing up with stress. I have no idea how bad this is or what it means for my future.

My last eye check a year ago showed no diabetic changes in my eyes, so this has come on suddenly.

Age 43, last HBA1c was 44, type 2 for 7 years taking metformin, gliclazide and exenatide.

Dark Horse

Try not to worry. You did the right thing by visiting your optician promptly when the symptoms began, your optician did the right thing by referring you promptly for examination by an ophthalmologist and the ophthalmology department did the right thing by offering you a prompt appointment. The system is working as it should. Just look after yourself so you can attend the appointment on Monday.

I know it's difficult, but try to avoid throwing up - that could increase the pressure in your eyes which might be unhelpful. Have a look at this page, there are some audio relaxation links which might be helpful:- https://www.moodjuice.scot.nhs.uk/asppodcast.asp

*madcatlady*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks, unfortunately I vomit pretty frequently when I get stressed.

It's the uncertainty of the whole situation which is the worst thing, I'm hoping that I will know on Monday and also hoping this is not worst case scenario.

Reactions: Brillpaul

MisplacedIdentity

Just want to leave you a big hug here, I haven't been through this so unable to advise but try and relax a bit, the stress won't help x

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sending you hugs too. I am also being investigated in the eye clinic at my hospital after I found my new glasses werent working well. My advice from the consultant ny letter was keep tight control of BG which I do. I think thats all you can do to help yourself and the experts will do the rest.

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
I have the same problem. Laser treatment was used on my eyes but the most important thing to remember as already commented is keep tight control of your diabetes & above all don't worry !

*madcatlady*

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I got to the eye clinic and the Dr said what was happening in my eye was nothing like the optician described. There was no bleeding at all, but I have a small cholesterol spot in my right eye which is harmless.

There were very slight changes which could be due to the diabetes, the Dr said she would have been happy for me to have yearly testing but because of the optician report will see me in 6 months time to be safe.

The flashing lights were likely a migraine.

I've had a massive scare, thankfully all is well for now.

I'm sorry to the posters who have retinopathy and needed treatment, the stress is awful.