Type 2 Test result scare..any ideas?

madfish69

Hi,

I just got my annual test results back for my diabetes check. Everything came back normal except 2 things...one which is scaring me :( ( Researching online about the high levels have scared me). I'd be grateful for any knowledge you have about these results.

My sugar and blood pressure etc etc is all fine. Here are the 2 that worry me. A little background. I'm 39 male. Have had type 2 for 8 years or so. My control thus far has always been pretty good. I've recently had gastro problems..as in I have a sliding hiatus hernia, some mild esophagitis and gastritis. I've been on Omeprozal 20 mg. And of course my usual diabetic meds, Metformin, Perindropril and simvastatin.

Results: Numbers in the right column are the range.
1)

! Urine albumin:creatinine ratio - (JP) - Abnormal no action
! Urine creatinine 8.2 mmol/L 9.00 - 18.00mmol/L
Urine albumin 12mg/L
Urine albumin:creatinine ratio 1.5 mg/mmol 0.00 - 2.50mg/mmol

It says no action...but the creatinine is lower than min :(

2)

! Renal profile - (JP) - Abnormal no action
Serum sodium 142mmol/L 133.00 - 146.00mmol/L
Serum potassium 5.0mmol/L 3.50 - 5.30mmol/L
Serum urea level 4.1mmol/L 2.50 - 7.80mmol/L
! Serum creatinine 60umol/L 66.00 - 112.00umol/L

So creatinine down on this one too :(

! Serum vitamin B12 - (JP) - Abnormal - Contact Patient-vit b very high-to stop vit b tablets if taking them

! Serum vitamin B12 1145pg/ml 191.00 - 663.00pg/ml

This is insanely high! I will of course see the doc later in a week. But the receptionist just told me to stop taking vit tablets if I'm taking them. But I don't take any vit tablets.

Any advice or hope would be welcome. If you have nay such experience with these type of bad numbers please do share.

Thank you.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
It says no action...but the creatinine is lower than min :(

Hang on, don't jump to conclusions that this is necessarily bad.

Firstly it is only slightly below the normal range, but more importantly it is a HIGH (not low) creatinine levels that are indicative of renal problems.

To be honest, I'm not entirely certain of what (if any) implications there are for having lower than normal creatinine levels, but I'd certainly want to look into it further before panicking. It may for example turn out that your kidneys are functioning better than normal?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you know what your last results were in these areas? That could help inform you if there has been an upward trend.

Your GP may ask for some of the tests to be re-run, just t check if the results are very different from before.

I couldn't know if your recent medical issues would impact the results, but I would be asking my GP about that, in your shoes.

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks Uart, I was actually much more concerned about the super high b12 levels? :(
Ok I see. Again talk to the doctor about those levels before panicking.

BTW. A quick google search seems to indicate quite a lot of variability in terms of what is considered "normal" here.

This site for example says 200 to 900 pg/mL is normal : http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003705.htm

And this site says up to 1500 pg/mL is ok : http://www.webmd.com/diet/vitamin-b12-15239?page=2