Test results positive antibodies

Rose22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Rose, it's perfectly acceptable to worry about your health! Your story is very interesting, positive for more than 1 antibody, normal range of C Peptide etc, just goes to show there are so many variations and opinions. With the bit about 'if you become unwell', please don't forget to keep up with your testing, things like DKA can creep up on you even whilst you are feeling well. Just before diagnosis I was feeling great (apart from weeing a lot and losing weight) but after various tests they realised I was virtually going into DKA (all the tests were screaming warning signs) and yet I felt fine. They kept me in hospital for 24 hours where I was moaning like a good 'un because I felt so well and didn't want to go on a drip but they said with DKA it can come on literally within minutes and your body can shut down within minutes too. Time can be of the essence so if you're at home you might not feel any symptoms. x
Oh wow gosh what an experience for you that must have been! Pleased you are ok and got fast treatment! Thanks that is useful to know, I have spent the last 2 years feeling unwell and moaning at gps hehe so the opposite of you there hehe! They kept putting me on different meds that weren’t working, finally got referred to consultant Endo in Sept. He said on the phone that it’s an odd one that I’m making plenty insulin, but that I’m positive antibodies. He said if I get an infection likely to become very unwell fast. I didn’t know that DKA can come on that fast though! So I will be aware of that now. I do have finger test which I’m trying to do and log in the book to show the nurse in Jan, not going too high at mo it’s more going too low. I have been on much lower blood sugar levels for the last 6 weeks or so, 3.2-9 so I think if went very high again I would really feel it. Was on 24.9 before started med Repaglinide. It makes me produce insulin so I wonder if that impacts the cpeptide result? Guess they must know.
My grandmother was type 1 in her 30s, and all my other grandparents where type 2. My dad is type 2. I had gestational twice, in my twenties, one diet controlled, one insulin. So I’m not sure where I fit in it all.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh wow gosh what an experience for you that must have been! Pleased you are ok and got fast treatment! Thanks that is useful to know, I have spent the last 2 years feeling unwell and moaning at gps hehe so the opposite of you there hehe! They kept putting me on different meds that weren’t working, finally got referred to consultant Endo in Sept. He said on the phone that it’s an odd one that I’m making plenty insulin, but that I’m positive antibodies. He said if I get an infection likely to become very unwell fast. I didn’t know that DKA can come on that fast though! So I will be aware of that now. I do have finger test which I’m trying to do and log in the book to show the nurse in Jan, not going too high at mo it’s more going too low. I have been on much lower blood sugar levels for the last 6 weeks or so, 3.2-9 so I think if went very high again I would really feel it. Was on 24.9 before started med Repaglinide. It makes me produce insulin so I wonder if that impacts the cpeptide result? Guess they must know.
My grandmother was type 1 in her 30s, and all my other grandparents where type 2. My dad is type 2. I had gestational twice, in my twenties, one diet controlled, one insulin. So I’m not sure where I fit in it all.

Hi Rose, just to clarify, the DKA (they said) can take a few hours or more to build up but the time between it being full on and your body shutting down can be 'minutes'. Didn't want you to think I meant that one minute all of your body's workings are normal and then wham, two minutes later it's not. Most people I am sure start feeling nauseous and so on well before full blown DKA but I didn't and they kept saying 'Are you sure you're feeling alright' because blood tests results etc were showing danger. x