Type 2 Test Strip Availability

StuartMoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I want to upgrade my test meter. I was given a meter by Roche free of charge a while ago. My diabetes nurse told me that she would not authorise test strips for this meter on prescription and also that when my current meter dies that I will only be allowed to replace it with a very basic meter.
I am type 2 treated with insulin, long term Lantus and fast acting Novorapid. I should be carb counting with the evening meal but I have no confidence in doing that. I have not used the Novorapid for a while for the same reason.
I normally test when feeling hypo and before driving.
The Roche website advises that the meter for me is the Accuchek Expert but is only available from my Diabetes Nurse.
My question is how do I find out what testers and strips are available from my GP without running the risk of being downgraded to a basic model meter?

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
From what I know, gp surgeries provide basic meters because the strips will be cheaper for them.
They can,t afford fancy meters where test strips are expensive

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I want to upgrade my test meter. I was given a meter by Roche free of charge a while ago. My diabetes nurse told me that she would not authorise test strips for this meter on prescription and also that when my current meter dies that I will only be allowed to replace it with a very basic meter.
I am type 2 treated with insulin, long term Lantus and fast acting Novorapid. I should be carb counting with the evening meal but I have no confidence in doing that. I have not used the Novorapid for a while for the same reason.
I normally test when feeling hypo and before driving.
The Roche website advises that the meter for me is the Accuchek Expert but is only available from my Diabetes Nurse.
My question is how do I find out what testers and strips are available from my GP without running the risk of being downgraded to a basic model meter?

Hi Stuart - Many folks have had similar challenges as yourself, with cost trimming on strips and meters. I seem to recall many insulin users (albeit insulin users are mainly T1s) managing to hold onto their original meters, or something similar, on the grounds of their insulin use.

I'll tag @satindoll , as I recall she was in a similar boat to you, but hopefully others will pop onto your thread.

Have you tried a forum search for meter changes at all? It could be worthwhile.

Hopefully it'll work out as you hope.

StuartMoss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Stuart - Many folks have had similar challenges as yourself, with cost trimming on strips and meters. I seem to recall many insulin users (albeit insulin users are mainly T1s) managing to hold onto their original meters, or something similar, on the grounds of their insulin use.

I'll tag @satindoll , as I recall she was in a similar boat to you, but hopefully others will pop onto your thread.

Have you tried a forum search for meter changes at all? It could be worthwhile.

Hopefully it'll work out as you hope.

Thanks for that. I suppose the issue is not whether you have the most expensive or cheapest but that you have the most appropriate meter for your particular circumstances. I am type 2 but treated with two types of insulin and I drive. There is a legal requirement to test before driving and every two hours during. I also want to keep fully aware of my BG. I would like a meter that gives me more than basic info and can be linked to a PC. I would just like to know what test strips my GP surgery will allow.
I suppose I could simply ask them!

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. I suppose the issue is not whether you have the most expensive or cheapest but that you have the most appropriate meter for your particular circumstances. I am type 2 but treated with two types of insulin and I drive. There is a legal requirement to test before driving and every two hours during. I also want to keep fully aware of my BG. I would like a meter that gives me more than basic info and can be linked to a PC. I would just like to know what test strips my GP surgery will allow.
I suppose I could simply ask them!

Hi Stuart..........thanks @DCUKMod for the tag........I have had this discussion with my own surgery when they wanted to change my meter to a cheap strip model..........my answers to their trying to do so is:
1) I need to be able to trust my meter is giving me a reasonably true reading before I inject either my basal or bolus insulin.
2) I need to be able to trust that my meter is giving me reasonably true readings before and during driving.
3) So far to date my meter averages have been in agreement with my hbA1c results, or at least within the 0.05% allowable margin of error, so I believe its as accurate as it can possibly be.
The NICE/CCG guidelines are just that and your GP/DSN can override this if they feel your control is helped by keeping your current meter..........from my own experience if you keep on at the GP to retain your present meter for the above reasons they will give in.
Hope this helps