Test strip storage

RoseRodent

How long can you keep test strips out of the container? I bought a tiny little pocket meter, but the tub of strips is the same size as the flipping meter! Obviously you are supposed to keep them cool, dark, dry, all those things, but I'm not carrying that king size tub all the time. If you keep your strips in another container what do you keep them in? And how long for?

Thx.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure about this one, but it would be advisable to keep them in the original container they came in as per manufacturers instructions.

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I believe that the original containers are lined with a special substance that protects the strips integrity, don't know how long they can be kept in other containers sorry, but are the tubs really that big. They remind me of the 35m film canisters I used to carry with me before digital cameras.

Albert

Sid Bonkers is so right. I read that on here some while ago in another post. I believe you should always carry the strips in the container they came in unless they are individually sealed in foil. Apparently it can make the strips degrade and the readings may then become erratic.

Albert

RoseRodent

That's a bummer. I guess the size of the box depends in relation to your meter size, I got the Nano thinking it would be nice and small, but add the box of strips and it's bigger than my deceased Bayer (the one before the Breeze with the cartridge strips in it). My strips only come in 10s but the box is as big as the 50s, which is annoying. Looking forward to the future and maybe we can get the excellent Accu-Chek Mobile down to a smaller size.

On the subject of the Mobile, what is the protection for the tape in the cartridge that it doesn't go off being kept in handbags and such at whatever is the prevailing humidity? The Breeze cartridge strips are encased in foil, but I can't see easily what is stopping the Mobile tape from going bad.