Test strips available here and devices

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I have always been using Contour Plus One, This name applies only in Poland. In here, in England the same device is called Contour Next. I get one free sample of this machine. I just got back from my GP and I was told they cannot prescribe test strips for this one because they are too expensive and they have to justify why they prescribe them. On my first appointment with diabetic nurse I received accu-check mobile, But this device is huge and it's mechanical. I can hear the strips moving inside. I just hate this device. I'd like to use my contour next because it's very small and easy to use. But I was told that I got machine (accu check) which has cheap test strips so they will have to justify why they deciced for the more expensive equivalent. What do you think about it? Is there a way around to stay with my device and get the strips?

What devices do you recommend that are very small and easy to use and I can get strips prescribed with no problems?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
You would probably need to have a discussion with your diabetes nurse, GP or endocrinologist to see what's available in your area. Where I live, it seems normal to be given the Glucomen LX Plus (which also does ketones) but this is probably only because the CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) has reached an agreement with the supplier to obtain test strips cost effectively.

Your CCG will have different criteria and will have different (although not completely dissimilar) list of meters to choose from.