Test strips on repeat prescription

tekcom

This makes me so angry to hear how some of you guys are being short-changed with your diabetic care.

First of all, let me just say that I am sadened by how much diabetic care varies around the country, county, and even city !!!

The advice given by my GP differs to that of my DSN at the hospital; which differs again depending on which hospital you go to - and it's not by a little bit. :shock:

I'm lucky, I can get as many strips and lancets as I want. I would never dream of ordering extras to put on eBay.

The bizzare concept that the PCT's have about reducing costs could have negeative impact. By this I mean that a T2 who only tests every few days is at more risk of developing complications by not knowing their true BMs.

Unfortunately, I was one of those people. My BM's were rising steadily, to the point where I was hospitalised for 5 days. Clearly, this emergency care, follow up, and the resulting remedial action would far more costly than a £12 box of testing strips. :cry:

From my experience, most people go for an annual Hba1C. So in theory, rising BMs could go unrecognised for almost 11 months. Now that's just asking for trouble IMHO.

Factor in the long-term affects of high BMs, and you can quickly see how the NHS paying out a lot of cash for your care. All because they didn't want to pay for your testing strips today.

I think it's irresponsible action on the part of the PCT's, and it upsets me ! :cry: :cry:

benniesmum

Dislikes
My Doc right now
I'd be happy with ANY strips. Not only don't I now get any strips, I can't get an HBA1C more often than once a year either. Even though my meds have just been increased and my BG is going up.

douguser

Surely the problem is the cost of the strips to the NHS..Why do you see even on this site offers for 'Free' meters...it's so they can rip us off over the cost of the strips... I think these advertisers should be ashamed and so should the site for allowing it...