Test strips

Dubh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The trade in Black market test strips, well what else is it? I came across any number of various brands on two well known internet sites I don't think I need to name them, "we all know who they are".
Seems to me people are getting them on prescription and selling on what they should be using whilst some genuine folk are being cut back due to funding cuts!!!
Personally it's enough to make your Blood Boil.

Reactions: philchap1

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Abuse of the system!!!!!!!!!! It happens everywhere everyday, seems to hurt more when it's relevant to us on an individual basis.
Annoying aspect is it's all about supply and demand. The persons who supply can only do so if people are prepared to buy the product. If these people didn't buy then they'd be no market for the suppliers. Ultimately only diabetics are going to use test strips. Who's to blame????????
Yes @Dubh it is extremely annoying for all of us honest folk.

Reactions: Anthony_H

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Sadly it does happen, but I'd say those who do sell the test strips are very few & far between.

Anyone who buys them and can see where the prescription label has been should report the seller.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm going to 'stick my head above the parapet' here. I buy test strips on line because I have to self fund and when faced with an option of £29.00 for 50 from a chemist or £13.00 on line I tend to take the cheaper option - even then my annual outlay for strips is approx £250.00. Whilst I appreciate that other meters are available I like the meter I use and do not want to change it. In addition if the strips were not so expensive in the first place I would have more sourcing options.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I'm with @Daphne917, I'm afraid I too buy my test strips on an online auction site. Some sellers are obviously T1s who are selling their prescription strips. Others seem to be commercial sellers.
I know I shouldn't encourage people making money from their NHS prescriptions, but I am resent paying the high price from the official suppliers.
I have about 150 test strips left from my last purchase, but I will probably use my TEE2 meter mainly after that, as the TEE2 strips are cheaper.

Edit: And the Accu Chek Mobile cassettesI have bought are probably going to dry up anyway as it seems They won't be prescribed by the NHS now, as they are outside their new financial parameters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daphne917

AM1874

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not much
I'm going to 'stick my head above the parapet' here. I buy test strips on line because I have to self fund and when faced with an option of £29.00 for 50 from a chemist or £13.00 on line I tend to take the cheaper option - even then my annual outlay for strips is approx £250.00. Whilst I appreciate that other meters are available I like the meter I use and do not want to change it. In addition if the strips were not so expensive in the first place I would have more sourcing options.
Hi @Daphne917 ..
I suggest you go to the website at http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-blood-glucose-meter/ and look at the TEE 2 meter, which is free .. strips are £7.99 for 50 including next day delivery .. also no VAT if you click that you have diabetes

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also buy my Accu Chek Mobile cassettes from "that well known site" I also have a Codefree meter with cheap strips, but there are too many problems with dodgy strips and inconsistent readings and the AC Mobile is the most convenient meter all round.

I have been buying the AC cassettes for 3 years from many different sellers and have never had one with a prescription label on it. There is a huge difference to me between £29 and £13 for 50 strips, and without them I would have to discard my favourite trusty meter and resort permanently to the inconvenient and not always reliable Codefree or Tee2. I am just as much a diabetic as those lucky enough to have strips prescribed, and as I can't have any prescribed then I will buy them where I can. I refuse to be made to feel guilty about this. (I am already saving the NHS money by using my self-funded meter to control my diabetes without recourse to any drugs and hopefully no complications)

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: Bluetit1802