paul1706

Hi all,

This week I found that I've shockingly stumbled into the world of Type 2 Diabetes (entirely my own fault).

I've decided to pursue an intermittent fasting with low carbs/no sugar path to try and sort out my inner workings. This is in the hopes that the 'reversible' effects (from the likes of Dr J. Fung) holds merit - if not, the weight loss couldn't hurt! I've also invested in a Sinocare Diabetes Testing Kit to hopefully monitor progress.

My question is - can you actually determine from these home test kits whether your diabetes is either improving (or even better - gone!). Or do you need the doctors' test to say one way or the other?*

*Apologies in advance if this has been asked many times

Thanks and thanks for creating a great community,

Paul

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
HI and Welcome
You can certainly map progress using finger pricks tests.
As well as investigating which foods cause spikes in your levels.
Most of us use them along with the docs HbA1c to monitor progress.

paul1706

Thanks Bulkbiker (awesome name!)

Is there a range that I should be aiming for? Or would tests just show whether I'm in any dangerous levels?

Or is that a personal (with everybody not being built the same) thing?

Is the results the home tests give the HbA1C (mmol/m)? (Sorry - I am a proper noob) The images of the device (it's not arrived yet) show mmol/L - if so, I take it I just multiply/divide one to get the other?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Paul and welcome
The home finger prick tests give you a reading at that moment. The doctors HBa1c test gives an average over the past 3 months, so finger pricks may miss spikes or long periods when bg is either high or low.
Most of us use both.
Are you in UK?
Prescribed any meds?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bulkbiker (awesome name!)

Is there a range that I should be aiming for? Or would tests just show whether I'm in any dangerous levels?

Or is that a personal (with everybody not being built the same) thing?

Is the results the home tests give the HbA1C (mmol/m)? (Sorry - I am a proper noob) The images of the device (it's not arrived yet) show mmol/L - if so, I take it I just multiply/divide one to get the other?
No the HbA1c is a kind of 3 month average of your blood glucose level.

Your monitor will give you a snapshot of your levels at the time you take the reading.

If you took a reading say every 5 minutes over a 3 month period (don't try it at home!) then you could approximate the HbA1c but the two are different but connected.

The calculator here
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html
Gives a rough idea.
When I was diagnosed for example with an HbA1c of 87 mmol/m my average blood glucose reading from the finger prick test would have been about 13.5 mmol/l (note the difference in units).
Screenshot 2021-03-06 at 23.13.05.png

paul1706

Thanks MrsA2 - scary first steps.

I am UK based and requested some time to 'adjust lifestyle' before starting on meds - so I've been lined up to talk to a nutritionist. Most likely be told what all the online advice says - carb/sugar/weight.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry i
Is there a range that I should be aiming for?
Sorry missed this one
A "normal" range for a non diabetic should be between 4.5 and 6.5 mmol/l if you can get to those levels you'll be doing great.
Personally I like to stay in the 4.0 to 5.5 range but I can appear a bit extreme sometimes!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks MrsA2 - scary first steps.

I am UK based and requested some time to 'adjust lifestyle' before starting on meds - so I've been lined up to talk to a nutritionist. Most likely be told what all the online advice says - carb/sugar/weight.
Depends on the nutritionist.. some are amazingly unaware of what is good for a T2 to eat others are on the program.. I'm afraid there's no sure way of knowing although if you hear the words "Eatwell Guide" then run for the hills (unless they are telling you to ignore it!)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmm, it might depend on the nutritionist. Many don't yet understand the benefits of low carb for type 2s and often trot out the old "must have wholegrain carbs" or "must eat 6 times a day to keep bg level" claptrap

Have a good read round everything on here re type 2 and low carb.
Also check out dietdoctor.com for values and recipes

Oh, and after first 2 or 3 months you might not get another HBa1c for a year, that why we all test ourselves as knowing we've gone astray a year afterwards is no good.

Test a lot at first, before and 2 hours after each meal. Once you've learned what raises your bg and what doesn't you can cut back the testing.

paul1706

Cheers again BulkBiker.

Don't you dare apologise! Really good information and incredibly appreciated.

Lol - I'll treat the "Eatwell Guide" with the contempt it deserves! (I take it you aren't on a commission from them?)

paul1706

Thanks again.

It's staggering that they don't all sing from the same hymn-sheet on this. I suppose if someone's making money from our suffering then that'd destabilise the 'message' that's out there - I guess it's our job to not let them!

Test a lot at first, before and 2 hours after each meal. Once you've learned what raises your bg and what doesn't you can cut back the testing.

Will do, and many thank for the sound advice. Really appreciated.