Testing in the morning

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I usually test my fasting levels at the same time every day, at about 7 a.m. This is usually when I wake up most days.

On a few occasions I may wake up much earlier say 4 or 5 am although I still tend to stay in bed until seven. I have noted, that on these occasions when I test my blood sugar levels at 7 am having been awake for a couple of hours, my levels tend to be lower. Probably indicates that I burn sugar faster when awake.

What I am wondering is whether I am not testing correctly. In order to get comparable daily morning fasting glucose levels should I continue to test at the same time every day or should I test immediately I am awake irrespective of what the actual time this tales place?

Thank you

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I go for a fasting test at the surgery I am awake, showered, dressed, driven to the doctors and waited in a waiting room. In the light of that I wonder if you are not worrying too much.

In your circumstances I would test at the same time every day and if there is a correlation between waking and sugar levels I would then have to pursue that to see where it led.

Reactions: 3 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Pavlos,where has your handsome face gone,:) .your hba1c is low, its not like you to worry in the early hours is it?:( come on cheer up laddie. you have so many admirers on this forum.:):):):):)

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Pavlos,where has your handsome face gone,:) .your hba1c is low, its not like you to worry in the early hours is it?:( come on cheer up laddie. you have so many admirers on this forum.:):):):):)
Hi Christine

Thank you for your kind words!

As you may have noticed I am definitely a glass-half-full kind of person.

I am a firm believer in the importance of keeping a positive attitude, in the face of whatever life throws our way. I also tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, choosing to believe the best of them until proven otherwise. Some may think this approach to life naive and setting oneself up for disappointments but I have so far found that it has served me well. Treat people with empathy, kindness and respect and they will in my experience reciprocate.

But I digress,

I would not say that I am worried about the question I put in my original post, more puzzled and wishing to gain from other people's superior experience.

I hope that everybody gets out of this forum as much as I am at the moment.

I find that posting here, hopefully offering some help to someone else, is the best way for me to actually help myself, keep myself focused on what is important and what I need to be doing.... plus it's great fun! :)

Pavlos

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

2christine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
now that's more like it ,and I love the photo of you and your family, wow you have lost weight too.:)

Reactions: 2 people