Testing New Food

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I was diagnosed T2 on the 13 April 2016 and was hit with a strict LCHF diet, exercise and Intermittent Fasting by my doc.

Thankfully, bar a few misdemeanours, I stuck to the plan, lost weight, got very fit and started to consistently control my Blood Sugar around the mid 4s to high 5s.

Last week at 3 months post diagnosis my doc reran my A1C and full Lipid Panel and hopefully I get my results tomorrow and will post them and amend my Signature.

So, now that I am beyond my second A1C the doc wants me to consistently test how carbohydrate sensitive I am, by introducing small amounts of new carbohydrate, measuring my BG every 2 hours, recording the results and then depending on the results, adding or stopping almost indefinitely those that I can or cannot tolerate.

So far I've tested and can manage the following with no noticeable spiking:

1. 80ml red wine (small glass), nightly

2. Small piece (50g) of Tesco Spelt Pave bread - every other type I've tried sends my BG through the roof and my stomach into fits of rage:) Must be something to do with spelt.

3. Lindt chockie: 70%-85%, two pieces only:)

Stuff that has not worked in my first week of testing:

1. Half a green banana nutriblasted with my morning supplement. Tried it twice and made sure it was a green one as this is apparently better for BG control. Pushed my BG up 2.5 mmol at 2 hours. So knocked that on the head:)

OK, so that's me!

Who else tests new foods and what happens, try and as specific as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think most of us do. It is the sensible way to go and the only way to learn.

My normal testing regime is to test an hour after first bite, then at 90 minutes, then at 2 hours. If I am not back to close to base by then I continue testing half hourly until I am. The only times I have shuddered at the results of carby experiments is after a single small plum, and after a biggish brown seeded roll with egg mayo filling.

Kevin ...... have you considered a Libre sensor? I believe you would benefit enormously from these. I was wearing one when I did both the above experiments. Illuminating to say the least.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

My normal testing regime is to test an hour after first bite, then at 90 minutes, then at 2 hours. If I am not back to close to base by then I continue testing half hourly until I am. The only times I have shuddered at the results of carby experiments is after a single small plum, and after a biggish brown seeded roll with egg mayo filling.

Kevin ...... have you considered a Libre sensor? I believe you would benefit enormously from these. I was wearing one when I did both the above experiments. Illuminating to say the least.

I'll give it some thought and do a bit of research. Thanks :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

I have thought about getting one but not sure of the benefits. I have found meals and bonuses that work MOST of the time as long as the wind doesn't blow. BF is always a **** shoot even when I eat the same meal every day. I have been playing around with bolus timing but again, it's not always the same in the morning. Lunch and dinner are no problem, it's that darn BF. Sometimes Es I will stay flat and sometimes after 3 hours I will spike. I'm usually down by lunch when that happens. Point is, I'm not sure even if I KNEW what was going on with a libre that k could control it unless I wore it every single day for the rest of my life. My goal is 83-95 and I get there most of the time.
I don't want to be any more OCD than I already am. Do you think it would help and how so? I just get those random stray readings some mornings that are frustrating

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 on the 13 April 2016 and was hit with a strict LCHF diet, exercise and Intermittent Fasting by my doc.

Thankfully, bar a few misdemeanours, I stuck to the plan, lost weight, got very fit and started to consistently control my Blood Sugar around the mid 4s to high 5s.

Last week at 3 months post diagnosis my doc reran my A1C and full Lipid Panel and hopefully I get my results tomorrow and will post them and amend my Signature.

So, now that I am beyond my second A1C the doc wants me to consistently test how carbohydrate sensitive I am, by introducing small amounts of new carbohydrate, measuring my BG every 2 hours, recording the results and then depending on the results, adding or stopping almost indefinitely those that I can or cannot tolerate.

So far I've tested and can manage the following with no noticeable spiking:

1. 80ml red wine (small glass), nightly

2. Small piece (50g) of Tesco Spelt Pave bread - every other type I've tried sends my BG through the roof and my stomach into fits of rage:) Must be something to do with spelt.

3. Lindt chockie: 70%-85%, two pieces only:)

Stuff that has not worked in my first week of testing:

1. Half a green banana nutriblasted with my morning supplement. Tried it twice and made sure it was a green one as this is apparently better for BG control. Pushed my BG up 2.5 mmol at 2 hours. So knocked that on the head:)

OK, so that's me!

Who else tests new foods and what happens, try and as specific as possible.

When you say it went up 2.5, what from, as that isn't bad if it was from 5.3, but not good if you were already at 7.8.

As for the bread, it could be possible you've developed a temporary gluten allergy, as your gut flora has changed, and will take a while to change back.

I definitely notice a much larger spike if I've been off carbs for a few days, with my first meal, then little impact from the second one though.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I definitely notice a much larger spike if I've been off carbs for a few days, with my first meal, then little impact from the second one though.

Is that not what is termed the "last meal effect"? When our pancreas is used to producing very little insulin because we eat very few carbs, it gets to expect very few carbs and therefore continues to produce less insulin. Then bang! We have a carb fest and the poor pancreas isn't expecting it, so again very little insulin is produced, which means a high and probably prolonged spike. After another carb fest it may learn to produce more insulin, so less of a spike. This is why it is always worth trying the same carbs again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kristin251

My answer to your question is yes, I do think it would help you. The actual readings may not be as accurate as your finger pricker, but they are consistent with each other. The software allows you to download several very useful graphs and also to export all the 15 minute readings over the 2 weeks they last. You can see all the variances at a glance, and work out exactly when the higher curves happen and why. I'm not sure if they are available in Canada (?) but no harm in finding out.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
When you say it went up 2.5, what from, as that isn't bad if it was from 5.3, but not good if you were already at 7.8.

As for the bread, it could be possible you've developed a temporary gluten allergy, as your gut flora has changed, and will take a while to change back.

5.9 before that drink with the banana...nothing has given me that level of spike since week 1 post diagnosis.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Kristin251

My answer to your question is yes, I do think it would help you. The actual readings may not be as accurate as your finger pricker, but they are consistent with each other. The software allows you to download several very useful graphs and also to export all the 15 minute readings over the 2 weeks they last. You can see all the variances at a glance, and work out exactly when the higher curves happen and why. I'm not sure if they are available in Canada (?) but no harm in finding out.
Thanks. I'm in the US and not sure here either. I had never heard of them until this forum but I'll look into it