Testing strips-One-Touch select plus.

OK so I am type 2 sufferer. Have been for about 15 years. I have totally ignored the fact, alternating between periods of taking my meds, taking some meds, or none at all depending on my mood at the time. I know something of the symptoms of the disease, and the damage it can cause, but never really took it seriously, or looked into it in any depth. Life has been a bit of a struggle at times but I have never until recently blamed the diabetes, but blamed myself for being FAT. Why blame myself? Well because I have been conditioned to do so by Doctors, and the medical profession in general. How so? It is embarrassing, and shaming when over a period of 30 years (roughly how long I started to carry weight) each visit to a medical professional receives an attitude bordering disinterest, belittlement, and on accusation of laziness and blame. So, every health problem I have ever suffered i have blamed on myself for being fat, and lazy. After all I have followed the pasta, and potato diets they have given me, and it must be my fault if they do not work. In fact I have followed almost every diet I have come across over the last 30 years, only to fail after the initial weight loss.
Recently I woke up to the fact I suffer from T2. I realised because not only do I suffer but so does my family. I have a beautiful soul as my wife, and 4 young children. Boy have they suffered. My mood swings from high to low in seconds, I find myself screaming in my kids faces like a mad man, hoping I do not have to wake tomorrow, and nearly driving my wife away in her desperation. All this is more than a bit of a change from the guy who used to be known for his easy relaxed attitude to every thing.
It is these symptoms not the possible damage to my flesh that have caused me to do a bit of research, and now understand that it is my illness that has changed me in it's subversive sneaky little ways. It is my desire not to hurt those closest to me, to go back to being the confident, kind, friendly, loving, sympathetic person I used to be a person that people used to wish to know rather than avoid that has made me take stock of who I am, and why.
I have decided that I am me because I allow the situation. I allow Doctors to make me feel like a lost cause. I take their incorrect advice, and therefor fail miserably. I avoid life as it is easier than having to face it as a failure.
Having discovered why I am in such a psychologically poor state I am relieved because I now know there is a possibility I can recover myself, bring myself back from the desert i have been wondering in for the past 15 plus years.
I am not a team player, mainly because of the self critical nature I have developed therefor I do not wish to involve Doctors who have proven useless in the past, nor diet clubs or the like. I see this as my last chance to bring myself back from the edge, and give my family the husband and father I know I am able to be. Having looked a little into my problem, I started one week ago to take control. My first step is a calorie controlled diet. Amazed at the way I feel I am now one stone lighter, move with ease rather than with effort, think clearly rather than each thought process having to work through a treacle maze, feel motivated (not because I have lost a few holes in my belt), and want to get out of bed again. My mind just seems clearer and more able to cope. Now at a tad over 21 stone, and being 5'6", I have far to go with my weight problem, but more important to me is my ability to think, compute, and control.
I need to keep an eye on my blood readings, but will not involve my Doctor any more than is necessary as he is a very negative experience, and will give me his opinion based on the text books he has followed for decades, and an opinion which will conflict with mine. Why should I allow the medical profession to make things harder for me by putting doubt in my mind when over 30 years they have helped destroy me.
So, I apologies for the waffle above, it just seemed like the first time I am able to let it all out as they say, to expel the demons. I need a little help from you. I have a One-Touch Select Plus meter, and need to purchase from the internet a supply of test strips. I do not wish to be buying faulty or imitation strips, and wondered if anybody out there has purchased these at a good price, and they are legitimate.
Seems an awful lot written just to ask help with test strips :) Lastly please do not reply with wise words regarding the involvement of the medical profession nor anybody else as your advice will not be welcome, and will be considered as you taking the opportunity to take stage. If they have failed me over 30 years, they will carry on failing me. This is a single minded, currently determined, one man team. :)
Any advice on the strips will be welcome though.

iHs

I have used ebay to purchase some of my teststrips and everything has been ok so try there.

Type 1s do get teststrips through their GP but the quantities have bee restricted for a lot of people and many have been forced to change to using a cheaper brand such as Glucomen.

Reactions: goinggoinggoing
I have used ebay to purchase some of my teststrips and everything has been ok so try there.

Type 1s do get teststrips through their GP but the quantities have bee restricted for a lot of people and many have been forced to change to using a cheaper brand such as Glucomen.
Perhaps I should take up smoking. Apparently I can be banned from NHS care for being over weight, but not for pouring nicotine into my lungs, and as a smoker I can receive all sorts of novelty goodies to help me. Se la vie.

Reactions: ziggy_w
A quick update. I purchased strips from Ebay. I had last week informed my Doctor of what I was doing diet wise, why, and how much research I had done. Also of my future plans regarding healthy life style, and diet. He was totally unsympathetic. Refused outright to supply a meter (have my own, but wished to test his attitude), did not wish to monitor me at all, and quite simply was another example of the entrenched immovable closed minded "professional" that I have suffered from for the past 30 years. I saw this particular Dr because the diabetic nurse told me he was the more enlightened modern thinking in the practice, and that he would be most understanding. Well God help us!!!
My test strips arrived from Ebay just as I was beginning to have a couple of days where I was feeling a little bit off colour, light headed and the like. My usual readings a few weeks ago prior to changing my diet were around 12 to 13 as a regular average. Now I was hitting between 4, and 5 (testing on a second meter to ensure accuracy), actually going down to 3.7 hence the feeling unwell. I have cut my meds in half, and feel better, and am now monitoring to obtain a balance. The current balance is between chocolate to bring my readings up, cutting the meds, and subsequantly cutting the chocs. All sounds a bit crazy but I know what I mean, and it is working for me. I am a little excited to say the least as I have found a method of control that works for me. I have a plan regarding goal weights, the introduction of exercise fairly soon-ish, and the reduction of meds. I am so looking forward IF I CAN KEEP THIS UP to attending my next 6 monthly check up, and seeing the experts faces when the results are in. If this does work, and they ask me how the difference was achieved so quickly, I will simply tell them I put myself under the advice of a person who understands me. That person being me.

Reactions: kokhongw

Bangkokian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Most politicians and other liars
Interesting regime, and you are right about the nhs, not very joined up thinking from them at all.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations with your progress so far! 'Eating to your meter' is the best tool for T2 diabetes management, and it looks like it is working excellently for you.

srobertson06

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cycling, Exercise Classes
I just wanted to wish you well, I have a very unsympathetic doctor who is always very negative towards me, so I do understand your feelings.
I am also doing my own thing and it is working for me - not as good as you are doing but I am just taking the slow weight loss and the still learning to keep blood sugar levels as stable as possible as a 'well done you' thing!

WELL HAVE JUST FINISHED WEEK 4 OF LOW CARB LIVING (MAINLY), AND THE HYPOS HITTING TOO OFTEN SO HAVE HAD TO CUT MEDS COMPLETELY WHILST CONSTANTLY MONITORING MYSELF. AM AVERAGING AROUND 5.7 NOW AM OFF MEDS. NO EXERCISE INTRODUCED YET OTHER THAN A WALK TO, AND FROM THE RESTAURANT TO THE HOTEL (WEDDING ANNIVERSARY TREAT :)). WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT AFTER ALL THESE YEARS OF 'EXPERT' MONITORING THAT 4 WEEKS OF LOW CARB COULD DO SO MUCH GOOD???

Yes...millions of families out there are still unaware of this...
You are quite correct, but worse the NHS hierarchy seems not to know this simple fact. I could have screamed at the TV yesterday when Panorama were doing their thing on Diabetes. I wanted to shout about my discovery. The NHS seems to still be blaming me for being big, and the suggestion is there that due to cost they must decide whether to financially cut down on how they treat us medically. I was fuming and wanted to face someone from the NHS, and say how dare you consider abandoning me (by that I mean all of us) due to cost when it is your incorrect advice that has lead me here, and when a good proven cheap answer to the problem is slapping you in the face you take the stance of a frightened ostrich except not sticking your head in the sand but up your own backside due to your arrogance, and need to avoid admittance of being wrong. I hope to be a success at this over a long enough period that will put me in remission. If that were to happen I will do all I can to help others who like me thought they, and their health were a lost cause.