Testing strips

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
IKnow that Abbott Diabetes Care, who are brilliant on customer support, will supply Freestyle strips for £314.33 per pack of 50 including P&P. I have the Freestyle Mini meter, which is fast and reported to be accurate. It also needs the smallest spot of blood and works on alternative site testing.
Find their number from the website and give them a call

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
It's that duff left hand again. I think I held the £ key after I let go the "shift"
Abbott quoted me £14.33 For 50 strips. That was a few weeks back, so would need checking.

matty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
polticians
graham64 said:
Hi,
I'm type2 diet and exercise since being diagnosed in april this year. I have not had any probs obtaining test strips. I have been testing 4 times daily of late for my my Dietitian and I am also inputing results regularly into My Life. My prescription says authorised till 21/02/2009 hopefully this means I can carry on getting them.Maybe it helps having a practise nurse whose hubby is a type1.I I don't have to pay for my prescriptions due to my age, I just hope that one day all T2s will have access to free meters and test strips.

hi graham i have been a diagnosed type 2 for 6 yrs and i have never had a problem with getting scripts for t/strips and i have never paid for a meter i got my aviva off my diabetic nurse they get them from the manufacturer for nothing anyway.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Matty,
I got a free meter to, the idea is that if you are given a meter the manufacturers will more
than recoup the cost from the sale of test strips.Up to press I'm still getting getting repeats, but when I saw my doc recently he made me aware he did not agree with regular testing for T2s, as he has been really good with me over recent years I didn't push it to much, just told him that I could'nt have achieved the BG control without regular testing and need the strips to maintain good control. I'm due for my 3month check shortly and think If I have shown to have improved my HbA1c my diabetic nurse will be more understanding.

Regards Graham

matty1959 said:
graham64 said:
Hi,
Graham i have been a diagnosed type 2 for 6 yrs and i have never had a problem with getting scripts for t/strips and i have never paid for a meter i got my aviva off my diabetic nurse they get them from the manufacturer for nothing anyway.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugarless, you can buy 50 for a fiver? Give us all the info then.

wiflib

jacquirs

Dislikes
being ill/not being in control
i got accu chek aviva 2x 50 for £20 + P&P off ebay and they are sound, this was about 2 weeks ago, they even came the next working day!

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
I get mine on prescription from the doctors...100 at a time. Prepaid prescription too. Nag your doctor for them!! He'll give them to you just to get you out of the room! :twisted: :D

matty1959

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
polticians
it's cheaper for our GP's to give us strips than to pay for an hospital stay brought on by not being able to test our bg so why do they moan so much when we ask for them.

Trinkwasser

matty1959 said:
it's cheaper for our GP's to give us strips than to pay for an hospital stay brought on by not being able to test our bg so why do they moan so much when we ask for them.

They have to pay for the strips NOW

They only have to pay for the hospitalisations later (if you haven't died in the meantime)

It's the selfsame logic that caused one of my dentists to finally give up NHS work. He was disallowed from using many treatments whose upfront costs were higher than mercury amalgam but which lasted much longer and were cost effective long term.

Politicians and accountants don't understand "long term"

Graham55

If your a driver the DVLA say you MUST test twice a day try that one on your Doctor.
Graham 55, T2 for almost a year.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
I bought my own monitor (One Touch Ultra Smart) and my doc said he would not hesitate to prescribe the test strips for me - even though the hospital said he probably would and that is why they would not give me a monitor - the doc actually went quite ballisitic at this claim - I must be one of the fortunate ones with a damned good doc

Jim

davege

Diabetes Care volume 28 number 6, June 2005 makes a good case for doctors to prescribe test strips by showing that Hba1c was reduced by 0.39% with people with type 2 who monitoried BG. It goes on to say that this reduces the risk of microvascular by 14%. This must offer good value for the NHS and makes good sense to me.

Dave

Trinkwasser

davege said:
Diabetes Care volume 28 number 6, June 2005 makes a good case for doctors to prescribe test strips by showing that Hba1c was reduced by 0.39% with people with type 2 who monitoried BG. It goes on to say that this reduces the risk of microvascular by 14%. This must offer good value for the NHS and makes good sense to me.

Dave

0.39% <laughs>

We routinely see improvements of 5 - 8% and sometimes in excess of 10% on various forums and newsgroups, including this one.

However that involves eating significantly less carbs than most people in research papers are told to eat

http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/NewlyDiagnosed.htm

I'm waiting to see someone do an RCT on THAT paradigm, which has been freely available from numerous sites on the internet for years, but I'm not holding my breath

I ordered some strips from http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk

but I don't recommend them, they took the moneys immediately but took a couple of weeks to send the strips

davege

Trinkwasser said:
We routinely see improvements of 5 - 8% and sometimes in excess of 10% on various forums and newsgroups, including this one.

Yes, I think by understanding how to interpet SMBG levels it's possible to lower HbA1c by more than the study and personally I lower my carb intake to reduce BG levels. About 1 to 1.5% for me by reducing carbs to about 140g daily.

Dave
type 2