1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Testing Strips....

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Lord_Lien, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Lord_Lien

Lord_Lien Type 2 · Member

I put in a request for some more test strips for my meter & was told that they only allocate 1 pot per year, I will have to purchase my own from now on. Being unemployed the £17.50 is quite a hefty chunk of my dole money. Is that just for our local area or something for anyone who lives in England?

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

That is unfortunate, some type 2's do get more prescribed and some don't get any.

There's a bg meter called the SD Codefree, the test strips are around £7 for a tub of 50 strips.

• Like Like x 4
  3. graj0

graj0 · Guest

I wish I could give you some good news, trouble being there isn't any. It's seems to vary from surgery to surgery, I don't get any strips prescribed at all. Do you think their decision might be different if they were made aware of your financial predicament, or do they already know?

• Like Like x 2
  4. martsnow

martsnow Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I know its sad to say but I feel that sufferers of diabetes are at the bottom of the pecking order when it comes to NHS funding. I have only been diagnosed type 2 in the last couple of months but have already come to the above conclusion. I feel the NHS is driven by the large Pharmaceutrical companies who make millions out of supplying us with drugs. The more drugs that are prescribed then the more millions of pounds profit they make.

Having said all this I live in the West Midlands and have been given a free meter and have a repeat prescription for 100 test strips per months. But this can vary from surgery to surgery in the same town?

I think it is another postcode lottery.......................

• Like Like x 8
  5. ally1

ally1 Type 2 · Expert

I used to get 50 strips a month but as I, my now on a new med, my go won,the prescribe them bought a code free meter and buy the strips. The code free strips are the cheapest to buy

• Like Like x 2
  6. dinkum1946

dinkum1946 Type 2 · Newbie

7. dinkum1946

dinkum1946 Type 2 · Newbie

That is a scandal that you are prescribed so little. I live in York and was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 1988. I was placed on insulin in 2006 (humalog 25) I have been supplied with a free meter, strips, lancets, and injection pen and needles since then and all on the NHS. The only restriction that I have is on the manufacturer of the meter, needles, lancets, and strips (Nexus). I am thankful for this from my local GP.

8. Type1Bri

Type1Bri Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It is due to the fact you are now on insulin therapy that you get all of the bits mentioned above, it would be very dangerous to not test if you are on insulin

9. jimsboss

jimsboss · Member

I must admit that I'm fortunate to have Diabetic Nurse who gave me a free meter and strips when I started on Meds. I was given a NHS form which stopped me paying for all prescriptions. I thought this was the same for all UK residents. I have also got one of the free meters advertised on his website. I hate to think what I would have to pay I lived elsewhere!

10. Shar67

Shar67 · Guest

OP may get free prescriptions but if GP is only prescribing 1 box of 50 that is all that will be provided free

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lord_Lien

Lord_Lien Type 2 · Member

I did tell them I was not working & it made zero difference. I just test myself once a week now until I find work. Pain I know but its the only way I can do it.

12. Cl1ve

Cl1ve Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi . this subject has been going on a long time now and it still needs to be sorted out . i would try and tell your doctor that you need the test strips to moniter you levels not test them as a test implies a pass or fail . And put it in writing so if you do have any problems you can then hold them responsible . it may not work but its worth a try
    Clive

13. SweetGuy

SweetGuy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I think the people at the Department of Health think it is sorted out. The latest NICE Guidelines Dec 2015 say that Type 2s who are not taking medication that is likely to cause hypoglycaemia should not be routinely prescribed test strips.

14. dbr10

dbr10 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My doctor told me that there was no point in testing because I couldn't do anything to change things. Obviously nonsense. I have improved with LCHF. The real reasons they don't want you to test are:-
    1). Then you would know that the HCLF diet advice is complete nonsense, and actually irrational; and,
    2). They don't want to pay for the strips.

So, you are expected to manage your diabetes without knowing what your readings are.

Just want to echo other comments about the SD Codefree. Available VAT free from http://homehealth-uk.com/

• Like Like x 4
  15. shantapatel

shantapatel · Newbie

I was told the same .nice guideline says no strips for type 2 on metformin.so buy your own or no monitoring.

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook