Testing

maxjoe121

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi do I test 1 hour after eating or 2... if it's 2 hours how do I know if I've gone really high at one hour and come back down again at 2 .. thankyou

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
One and two hours after your first bite. Some of us have tested every 15 or 30 min up to three hours to see when we peak and start dropping. Not sure how much that will tell you if you ear variable meals

DumfriesDik

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbs
This is interesting. I usually take my bloods twice a day, before breakfast and before dinner. If you see your bloods going particularly high after 1 hour, what would you do?

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
To start with like Kristin251 references, I was testing every blooming waking minute. This changed to 4 x a day (waking +2, pre dinner+2) which has been my stable pattern for 5 months now and provides enough data for trends:)

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
This is interesting. I usually take my bloods twice a day, before breakfast and before dinner. If you see your bloods going particularly high after 1 hour, what would you do?
I would stop eating the food that caused it or seriously cut back the portion size. This is how you eat to your meter.

Reactions: 6 people

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I normally test before then at 30 minutes 1 hour and two hours after eating and depending on what I have eaten sometimes at three hours. If I have partiularly high readings after a particular food I dont have it again or cut the amount of it I eat this is how you obtain control of blood sugar levels in stead of being a bystander in your own life you need to be proactive not a passive.observer.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually take my BS after waking up. The result will not be affected by any factors like foods.

My fasting blood glucose varies tremendously, and is very much affected by foods - but in a different way from the +1 and +2 readings. For instance, if I have had a few days of higher carbs than usual (say over 50g a day) then my fasting blood glucose rises and becomes even more unpredictable, until I dial the carbs back down.

My fasting blood glucose varies from 5.5 to over 11 (the 11 is v rare), but is usually in the mid-low 6s if I am on track with low carbing.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi do I test 1 hour after eating or 2... if it's 2 hours how do I know if I've gone really high at one hour and come back down again at 2 .. thankyou

Maxjoe - I took quite a structured approach to a ll of this, and over the almost 3 years since diagnosis, I've probably dabbled in most ways of testing and/or eating.

When I stated testing, I went about it very simply. I tested fasting, before and 2 hours after breakfast, lunch and dinner. Anything outside my chosen range, I either adjusted portion size or rejected the food - once I had tried it at least twice. Some were easier to can than others, as we know. I used my fasting score as my pre-breakfast test, I didn't retest for that.

Along the way, I dropped my lunchtime breakfast and lunchtime testing as to be honest, I use ahandful of options at those meals, usually. Of course, if I have something very left field I would test for it.

Once I had established a core food base, I upped the testing to include a period of 1 hour testing, which I considered helped with the fine tuning. That cut a few more food out, but for me, it wasn't too many.

It worked for me, and my scores are in my profile. I would urge you to keep things pretty simple Maxjoe. I recall how much brain space this condition took up near diagnosis. Don't torture yourself needlessly.

Reactions: 2 people