Testing

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just returned from a Oncology appointment and it seems like I have to have more Chemotherapy......I know this shouldn't be my main concern right now but will Chemotherapy affect my prediabetes?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just returned from a Oncology appointment and it seems like I have to have more Chemotherapy......I know this shouldn't be my main concern right now but will Chemotherapy affect my prediabetes?

I'm so sorry to read this, Soo. You must be very anxious about matters, and diabetes should be at the bottom of your list of concerns right now.

You will of course have to take steroids before and just after the infusion days, and these most likely will raise your levels, but once you stop taking them and they are out of your system things should return to normal.

The chemo in itself shouldn't affect anything, but the stress may do.

You also need to remember that comfort eating is something we do at times like this, so try to find some lower carb comfort foods if you can. I fell foul of this when I had my chemo. I wasn't diabetic or pre-diabetic before my cancer diagnosis, but 12 months later, I was diabetic. What I ate in that period contributed enormously, and much of it was recommended eating to alleviate or avoid side effects. (Cranberry juice, Lucozade, bananas, ice cream, mini-magnums, wholemeal bread, baked beans, boiled sweets and so forth) Plus of course all the chocolate and cream cakes for comfort, and adding sugar to everything because all food tasted like putty. I'm sure you recognise all this from previously.

Take care, and I wish you all the best.

Soo2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you @Bluetit1802 . You have always been so helpful to me and I do appreciate it.

Sue xx