Testing

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Meat, meat substitutes and fish
Hi, I have been to my doctors today for a prescription of gliclazide (have just finished 28 days since diagnosis) and he has told me to put my test meter away in a very safe place and forget about it. I have been testing before and after breakfast and dinner. He also said that as my levels have not gone back into double figures (diagnosed with a bg 22 and Habc1 78) not to worry about it - feeling unsettled.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand the approach of the anti-testing brigade of doctors - it makes no sense at all. I would carry on testing so that you can understand your blood sugar levels and make adjustments to diet and /or lifestyle accordingly.

Reactions: Hammer1964

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My DN told me the same, but I have ignored it. Also, if you're taking gliclazide you need to be aware that you might go too low. Another poster on here told me "if you're under 5, don't drive". If you don't test, how will you know?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you stop testing how will you know what your food choices are doing to your levels, how will you know if you try something new that it is OK for you. Are you going to wait till your next HbA1c to find out - by which time it may be too late? Not testing is working blind. Also, if you drive and are on Gliclazide, you need to test before you drive for your sake and the sake of other road users. Low carb and Gliclazide can make you go low, and if you don't test you will have no idea.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you stop testing how will you know what your food choices are doing to your levels, how will you know if you try something new that it is OK for you. Are you going to wait till your next HbA1c to find out - by which time it may be too late? Not testing is working blind. Also, if you drive and are on Gliclazide, you need to test before you drive for your sake and the sake of other road users. Low carb and Gliclazide can make you go low, and if you don't test you will have no idea.

Hi Bluetit1802 fortunately the driving is not an issue as I don't drive and walking everywhere is much healthier, I live in a small market town so it is wait hours for a bus or walk. Neither doctor or DN has mentioned that Gliclazide can make me go too low. Going back in three weeks for a HbA1c, he said 'That is the only test you need to know about'.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Bluetit1802 fortunately the driving is not an issue as I don't drive and walking everywhere is much healthier, I live in a small market town so it is wait hours for a bus or walk. Neither doctor or DN has mentioned that Gliclazide can make me go too low. Going back in three weeks for a HbA1c, he said 'That is the only test you need to know about'.

Gliclazide works by stimulating your pancreas to produce extra insulin. Insulin is mainly needed when you eat carbs, to deal with the glucose the carbs produce. The less carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. If you produce too much insulin your BS levels may drop, and once your levels start to come down with your low carbing, you may drop too low. This is why testing is even more important for people on Gliclazide.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Gliclazide works by stimulating your pancreas to produce extra insulin. Insulin is mainly needed when you eat carbs, to deal with the glucose the carbs produce. The less carbs you eat, the less insulin you need. If you produce too much insulin your BS levels may drop, and once your levels start to come down with your low carbing, you may drop too low. This is why testing is even more important for people on Gliclazide.

That explains why he doesn't want me to go low carb and to stay on the tablets. I am on 80mg a day and have cut the carbs down to 150g a day or less. After dinner it does not drop drastically, between 7-8mmol.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That explains why he doesn't want me to go low carb and to stay on the tablets. I am on 80mg a day and have cut the carbs down to 150g a day or less. After dinner it does not drop drastically, between 7-8mmol.

Yes, that is typical of the type of care diabetics (T2) receive. Eat normally, eat carbs, take more pills. Then down the line when there is no improvement, take more pills. The all you are left with is insulin. This is why T2 is regarded by the medical profession as progressive. They aren't interested in getting to the root of the problem, which is carbohydrate.

I do hope, for your sake, you ignore your doctor, drop your carbs a bit more, and keep testing.

Hammer1964

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yes, that is typical of the type of care diabetics (T2) receive. Eat normally, eat carbs, take more pills. Then down the line when there is no improvement, take more pills. The all you are left with is insulin. This is why T2 is regarded by the medical profession as progressive. They aren't interested in getting to the root of the problem, which is carbohydrate.

I do hope, for your sake, you ignore your doctor, drop your carbs a bit more, and keep testing.
I will try and cut carbs a bit more, finding it difficult what to eat as a vegetarian and do not eat meat substitutes. Have not been able to get on the veggie site as it has been down.

Reactions: Bluetit1802