Testing

SarahOxford

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes a few weeks ago and since then have modified my diet and increased walking — exercise is really tough at the moment as I have long COVID so I do the best I can.
I want to start testing blood glucose levels to monitor them at home as it’s such a long time between the 3 monthly blood tests.
I have bought everything I need (even a sharps box) but now realise I actually don’t know exactly when to test!
When I wake up mornings? After breakfast? Before I go to sleep? Help, please!

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Sarah. Yes, when you wake. Also before first bite of ANY major meal, 1 hour and 2 hours afterwards to grade the rise and fall of your blood sugars.

What was your HBA1C?

SarahOxford

Sarah. Yes, when you wake. Also before first bite of ANY major meal, 1 hour and 2 hours afterwards to grade the rise and fall of your blood sugars.

What was your HBA1C?

Brilliant thank you! I have absolutely no idea. I had blood tests in October as I have long COVID and my blood glucose was 6.4 and my GP decided to repeat the test in December and it was still 6.4 so got referred to my practice diabetes nurse.
She repeated tests early January and it had gone down to 6.3 a week after I’d started limiting sugar and reducing carbs. I’m not sure when the next official blood test will be but I want to monitor at home to keep an eye on it.
I appreciate you replying. Thank you.