Thank you

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed as T2 at the beginning of the year and joined this forum for advice on how to manage it. I was determined to try to avoid meds if I possibly could, so learned on here about LCHF eating.

I was diagnosed with an HBA1C of 97. My GP agreed that I should try to manage it myself for 6 months and then we would review and possibly start Metformin. After 6 months it had come down to below 50 so the GP agreed I could stay off meds.

In those 6 months I learned so much on here about my body and how my pancreas and liver worked.

I have carried on LCHF. I have recently had my diabetic annual check and my latest HBA1C is 37.

So I wanted to say a very big thank you to everyone on here who offered support and Advice. I haven't been on the forum for ages (changed phones and forgot my password) but managed to log in again today.

And for people who are starting out on this journey, do have hope. I was devestated at my diagnosis and wasn't sure if I could make the necessary changes, as I work full time and have teenagers so there is a constant temptation to eat the wrong thing. But I managed it.

I am so grateful to all the information on here. I wouldn't have done it without you.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, that should have read I was diagnosed at the beginning of last year (January 2016)

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done :)

When I was diagnosed my HbA1C was 99. Three months later it was 59. I am hoping to get below 48 on my next test in May.

I think most people with type 2 can get their blood sugars down to normal levels within 6 to 12 months if they adopt a LCHF diet. I have dropped metformin to once a day and will drop it completely once my HbA1C is below 48.

Reactions: Prem51

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @TooManyCrisps Good to hear from you. I had wondered how you were as you haven't posted on the forum for a while.
It's great to hear of your success - well done! :)
And thanks for posting, it's always encouraging to hear success stories.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news, and congratulations for sticking with it this far.

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I remember back to January last year feeling that I had an impossible task ahead of me and then reading stuff on here which gave me thd inspiration to stick to it.

I know I will have to cary on either the LCHF eating, and with the exercise, or it will start to slide. But I am proud of myself for achieving it without meds and with a house full of carbs due to starving teenagers!

Reactions: MrsJRandy2

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
An inspirational story @TooManyCrisps , and one which started with a very helpful decision from an understanding doctor. Wish there were a few more GP's like that. I believe you have lowered your insulin resistance and you may be able to "relax" the regime a bit. But keep testing to monitor where you are, and keep popping in to to tell us!

Reactions: TooManyCrisps

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you. I know I'm not cured, and that I need to stick to regime that works for me. But I am pleased with managing to get my readings down without resorting to meds.

I still can't get my FBG down but am learning to live with that. That's just the way my body works. I get good readings through the day but don't test as often as I used to.

My GP is good, as is the nurse practitioner at my surgery. They have been very positive about me trying to do this without meds rather than sticking me on Metformin. Thank goodness. I did do the Desmond course though which was fairly useless. Wholewheat pasta was highly recommended!

Reactions: Bluetit1802