Thanksgiving (or Christmas) dinner

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all just had a fantastic thanksgiving dinner here in Canada and I thought I would share the menu with you. We have 2 of us doing a low carb diet and there were 8 other people not low carbing. This dinner made everyone happy.

Roast turkey
Smoked pork picnic shoulder in the slow cooker
Cauliflower mashed with butter and cream
steamed broccoli with butter
steamed brussel sprouts
baby carrots with butter and dill
cheese sauce
turkey gravy
stuffing (not low carb)
mashed potatoes (not low carb)
pumpkin pie with whipped cream (not low carb)
low carb sugar free pumpkin cheesecake with whipped cream

Us low carbers did not have the stuffing, potatoes, or pie but we had our own cheesecake and it was probably better :)
It is totally possible to stay low carb and have a fantastic holiday meal with family and friends without feeling deprived or left out. It just takes a bit of planning and creativity.

I wish you all many happy dinners with those you love. :p:D

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great.. where was my invite! haha
I've recently tried cauliflower mash/puree and love it.. especially now it's starting to get a bit chilly here in the UK ...perfect winter warmer.

Reactions: chalup

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been doing quite a bit of experimenting with cauliflower lately as it is so versatile and have found quite a few new dishes that the whole family likes.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I love cauliflower rice and roasted cauliflower, occurs to me it may be possible to make a bread sauce version using cauliflower anyone come across such a thing?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am not sure what you mean by bread sauce.

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is any sauce which is thickened by adding bread, usually as crumbs - the traditional English one to go with turkey is mainly onion flavoured. There are recipes about for using cauliflower in a similar way but I've never tried it.

Reactions: chalup

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol must be peculiarity of UK. It's made by heating milk with an onion stuffed with cloves in then thickening with bread crumbs to me it's a bit porridge looking, delicious to eat though!

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Lol must be peculiarity of UK. It's made by heating milk with an onion stuffed with cloves in then thickening with bread crumbs to me it's a bit porridge looking, delicious to eat though!
I have never heard of this. Sounds terrible though lol. I think stuffing is terrible too. I have never understood the appeal of wet stale bread. Just goes to we are all different. @Hotpepper20000 enjoy your thanksgiving dinner :happy: