Thankyou Mother in law!

SpaceChick

My mother in law came up tonight to tell me how Devastated she is that I am diabetic. (diagnosed yesterday)
But that it's my own fault for being fat!
Um, yep I'm overweight, but I eat a healthy diet and my doctor has said it is most certainly not my fault.

She then hands me an ice cream tub full of black currents for me to make jam..... Oh you can't eat jam..... Oh you can just make it for me then :crazy:

Is there a forum brick wall for me to bang my head against? :crazy:

Netty70

Don't you just love family sometimes lol
Don't stress chick you will get lots of support on here I love it
Only diagnosed 3mths and its been a roller coaster ride
Good luck to you :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

SpaceChick

I love her, I really do, but sometimes she can be so ignorant and judgemental it's untrue!

I'm hoping that I'll lose weight when I get my carbs and medication under control..... Then I'll show her :lol:

Netty70

SpaceChick said:
I love her, I really do, but sometimes she can be so ignorant and judgemental it's untrue!

I'm hoping that I'll lose weight when I get my carbs and medication under control..... Then I'll show her :lol:

Am sure you will chick but hey then she will tell you your looking gaunt lol

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
SpaceChick said:
My mother in law came up tonight to tell me how Devastated she is that I am diabetic. (diagnosed yesterday)
Um, yep I'm overweight, but I eat a healthy diet and my doctor has said it is most certainly not my fault.

She then hands me an ice cream tub full of black currents for me to make jam..... Oh you can't eat jam..... Oh you can just make it for me then :crazy:

Surely there is a sugar free jam recipe on here somewhere?? Make a load of it and then tell her that it's no good her eating YOUR jam as she wouldn't like it as it's not real jam so it's all yours!! :lol:

Angie

SpaceChick

angieG said:
SpaceChick said:

Surely there is a sugar free jam recipe on here somewhere?? Make a load of it and then tell her that it's no good her eating YOUR jam as she wouldn't like it as it's not real jam so it's all yours!! :lol:

Angie

I like the way you think :lol:

The honest answer though is I don't really like jam... I don't really like many sweet things :***:

So making sugar free jam would be wasted on me :oops:

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would go for blackcurrants, sugarfree jelly and cream as a snack. Or for breakfast blackcurrants with plain / greek yoghurt sprinkled with chopped nuts!!
Then tell her that you are sorry there is no jam as you found you could eat them as they were and they were delish!!

Angie

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a M.I.L x2 but I forgive you :D
I grow blackcurrants and when the blackbirds leave some I make my suprise pudding
Put a square of very dark choc (per person) in a small individual dish heat the black currants in a pan just enough to soften them spoon over the choc then top off with cream I like the contrast of flavours and the warm currants melt the choc
CAROL

twosweet

Carty, Sounds delicious. I am a MIL once and about to become twice. Its the hardest job in the world, just you other ladies wait your turn :D

I would however not say that to my DIL, and she may have been a little tactless, but she also needs to know that it is not only a weight issue. I am not fat so to speak, it is genetic in most cases. I know lots of thin people who are diabetic.

lrw60

Dislikes
salads, meat, being bored
Mother in laws are one thing, but a grandmother in law? I went to visit my fiance's grandmother soon after I became vegetarian. She offered to make me some eggs, which I had to say I didn't eat. Then sausages, I declined, numerous other meat based snacks were offered, all declined. She looked at me a bit puzzled.

You don't eat a lot do you? she said. :?
No, I replied. :angel:
Why are you so fat then? :twisted:

The lady didn't become my grandmother in law! Mores the pity.

sarahg0810

I think some mother-in-laws feel it's normal to be mean to their daughters-in-law!!! Just ignore her and do the best you can to manage your diabetes!!! (If it makes you feel any better, I think my mother-in-law hates me so I steer well clear!!!) xx